Graduates in the Class of 2022: 402
Graduation ceremony: Thursday, May 26, Vernon Hills High School
Class Officers: Grace Lee, president; Robert Cattapan, vice president; Kylie Spytek, service coordinator; Katie Perritt, public relations.
• 2021-22 IHSA Academic All-State: Devin Mulcrone
• 2022 National Merit Finalists: Anirudh Adiraju, Ella G. Boehme, Lora C. Dohler, Joel K. Kim, Jackie Liu, Devin P. Mulcrone, Andrew R. Tikhonov.
• 2022 National Merit Commended: Jacob B. Arndt, Srikar Manikonda, Philip K. Back, David Mun, Eliana J. Bernat, Owen R. Ray, Hanna P. Chen, Maya Salwa, Mayank Dubey, Maria Sofia, Bianca K. Sanchez, Jason R. Frega, Ashley M. Sawa, Hayden S. Graham, Alexandra J. Sinclair, Joshua A. Kalinowski, Anthony Y. Smykalov, Brandon T. Karaca, Shihori M. Takenaka, Sophia Y. Kim, Emma Y. Zhang, Allison M. Klemstein, Lawrence Zhang, Eben K. Lee, Evan T. Zurow, Junmin Lee.
• National African American Recognition Award: Rachel Afulike
• National Hispanic Recognition Award: Sofia Gonzalez Bernier, Erick Herrera, Alexandra Sinclair, Cosette Vela
• Katelyn Lee and Eshu Chikoti: 1st place at Science Olympiad State Competition in the Wright Stuff Competition
• VHHS Science Team 1st place at Regionals, 2nd place at Sectionals.
• Jackie Liu: 1st place at the Science Team State Competition in Chemistry
• Wind Ensemble Superstate Champions
• eSports qualified for the National Championship HSEL (High School Esports League) in the game Valorant, played by Pablo Kinderman, Evan Chien, Michael Tourjman, Charles Frank, Serafiin Santos.
• FBLA National Qualifiers competing in June: Anirudh Adiraju, Krish Asher, Hanna Chen, Hannah Kapur, Joel Kim, Kavin Manivasagam, Brandon Newman, Anthony Smykalov, Pranav Swaminathan, Andrew Tikhonov, Emma Zhang.
• Math team 1st place at Regionals, 4th at State
• Girls Cross Country: CSL North Division Champion; IHSA 3rd Place State; Reina Hill -- 11th Place; Anna Todd -- 14th Place.
• Girls Swim & Dive: CSL North Division Champion; Izzy Ramos, Illinois High School Association -- All State -- 12th Place -- 200 IM
• Boys Swimming: Devin Mulcrone, IHSA All State Academic Team
• Girls Golf: CSL North Division Champion
• Boys Soccer: IHSA Regional Champion; Valdemar Nambo, Illinois High School Soccer Coaches Association -- All State
• Boys Golf: IHSA Regional Champion
• Boys Bowling: CSL Champions
• Girls Bowling: CSL Champions; IHSA Sectional Champion
• Cheer: CSL Champions; IHSA 9th Place State
• Dance: IHSA 11th Place State
• Girls Gymnastics: CSL North Division Champion; IHSA Regional Champion; IHSA Sectional Champion; IHSA 2nd Place State
• Badminton: CSL North Division Champions
• Girls track: CSL conference champions
• Ella Boehme, IHSA All State Academic Team -- Honorable Mention
• Fall Musical: "James and the Giant Peach"
• Winter Play: "The Diary of Anne Frank"
• Freshman & Sophomore Play: "Circus Olympus"
• Spring Play: "Almost, Maine"
Principal's reflections on the Class of 2022:
VHHS students have lived the D128 DARING mission by thriving amidst the impact of the pandemic. The seniors led classmates to the highest student participation in school history. They set attendance records at all school dances. They set new bench marks for Advanced Placement participation. They joined clubs, athletics and activities in numbers never seen before. I'm proud of them for their resilience and determination to make this year special.
-- Principal Jon Guillaume