St. Philip's Episcopal celebrates 75 years

  • St. Philip's Episcopal Church, as viewed from Wood Street in Palatine.

    St. Philip's Episcopal Church, as viewed from Wood Street in Palatine. Courtesy of Jack Notzen

 
 
Updated 8/31/2022 8:43 AM

The process of starting a new Episcopal Church began in early 1947. A small group of the Episcopalians decided that they wanted a new church in Palatine.

On May 23, the name Saint Philip's was designated, and plans were initiated to build at the corner of Schiller and Wood streets.

 

On Sept. 21, 1947, 64 parishioners attended the first confirmation and Eucharist of Saint Philip's in the Masonic Temple, with Bishop Conkling officiating.

The groundbreaking ceremony for the first church was May 29, 1948. On Sept. 12, 1948, Father Rob Roy Hardin was named the first rector at St. Philip's and performed the first service in what is now the library.

Father Sheldon B. Foot became rector on June 1, 1952. During his tenure, the current church was built. Pepper Construction completed the work in late 1957.

St. Philip's Episcopal Church is celebrating 75 years as a church and part of the Palatine community this September.

0 Comments
                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
 
Article Comments
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.