Join guided kayak paddles on the Fox River
Tour the local waterways by kayak with the Forest Preserve District of Kane County.
Each session, participants will receive dry-land instruction on basic kayaking techniques from an experienced instructor.
Afterward, participants will take to the water for a naturalist-led exploration of the fascinating local ecology. Participants meet and park at the take-out location and are shuttled to the put-in location.
For all sessions, participants must be 16 years or older and able to:
1. Hold breath under water while wearing a properly fitted life jacket;
2. Independently turn from a face-down to a face-up position, keeping head above water;
3. Effectively communicate with the instructor and other participants; and,
4. Manage all mobility and personal care independently, or with the assistance of a companion.
Dates and take-out locations for upcoming sessions are below:
• Sunday, Aug. 14; 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. (Beginner-Intermediate; 4-5 mile paddle) at Ferson Creek Park, off Route 31 east of Wildrose Springs Drive in St. Charles.
• Sunday, Sept. 11; 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. (Intermediate; 3-4 mile paddle, with portage) at Glenwood Forest Preserve, 1644 S. River St. in Batavia.
• Sunday, Oct. 9; 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Intermediate; 4-5 mile paddle, with portage) at McCullough Park, 150 W. Illinois Ave. in Aurora.
The fee for a single kayak is $85 per person.
It includes use of kayak, personal flotation device and paddle. If you provide your own kayak and equipment, the fee is $45 per person. All fees include shuttle service. Advance registration is required, with payment required at the time of registration.
Call (630) 444-3190 or email email@example.com to register. Rain will not stop a paddle, but trips may be cancelled (with full refund) due to lightning, low air/water temps, or unsafe water levels.
For more information, visit www.kaneforest.com or find the Forest Preserve District on social media by searching @forestpreserve.