Dist. 63 celebrates completion of Gemini Middle School
East Maine School District 63 board members, staff and administrators will gather at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 3, to welcome District 63 families, local leaders and the larger community to a special open house celebrating the completion of Gemini Middle School's 104,920 square feet of new and remodeled space at 8955 Greenwood in Niles.
The school, which now serves more than 1,100 sixth- to eighth-grade students living in Des Plaines, Glenview, Niles, Morton Grove and Park Ridge, transformed from a junior high to a middle school this year -- better designed to meet the needs of this age group. Highlights of the project include:
• 66,553 square feet of new space
• 38,421 square feet of remodeled space
• an accessible ground floor administration area that brings visitor check-in and office services close to the school's front entry. Previously, the school office was on the second floor.
• A performance space with a stage that enables our Gemini thespians, musicians and performers to perform in a theater-like setting.
• A purpose-built instrumental music suite that brings all of our Gemini music classes and performance groups together.
• An upgraded fitness center to encourage student fitness and physical health.
• Expansion of the cafeteria -- featuring a learning stairway and world clock wall -- and library.
• More than 50 new parking spots (for a total of 191) that will ease congestion every day -- and during special events in the evening.
The Gemini enhancements -- and the shift of all sixth-grade students to the school -- are part of District 63's Master Plan, which also includes expanding to provide full-day kindergarten, a new, free-standing First Steps Preschool building, and the launch of a new Family Resource Center housed in the former Stevenson School.
Members of the public are invited to drop by Gemini between 6:30 and 8 p.m. to explore its new features, take a tour led by the eighth-grade Gem Guides, and enjoy refreshments. District and school leaders will be on-hand to greet guests and answer questions.
Gemini is one of East Maine School District 63's six schools, which offer a rich learning environment and multicultural perspective to more than 3,500 students.
Committed to teaching excellence that provides all students with the specific opportunities they need to succeed and thrive, its five elementary schools, middle school, preschool and expanded learning programs foster each student's academic, social, emotional and behavioral growth and achievement.
Visit www.emsd63.org to learn more.
Event parking is available in the school lot or in the parking lot west of the school, across Greenwood. Park as close to Greenwood as possible. RSVPs are encouraged; email firstname.lastname@example.org.