Monday, June 5, 2023
Columns | Super Monday promises lots of super baseball, softball games
It's supersectional Monday in IHSA Class 3A and 4A baseball and softball, and over the years Super Monday has proved to sometimes be more dramatic and thrilling than its successor, which is this weekend's state finals.
Prep Sports | Boys volleyball: Glenbard West repeats state championshipParker Moorhead and Liam O'Neill are going out as two-time boys volleyball state champions.
Prep Sports | Girls soccer: Barrington just misses state title againThe sensational season of Barrington ended in heartbreaking fashion Saturday night when the Fillies fell short in their bid to lift the Class 3A state championship trophy.
Prep Sports | Boys lacrosse: Wheaton Academy stops St. Viator for 1st state titleIt's been quite a journey this past decade, but Wheaton Academy's boys lacrosse program cashed in all the hard work with a first-ever state championship Saturday at Hinsdale Central.
Prep Sports | Baseball: Stevenson tops Hersey for sectional crownStevenson showed Saturday why the Patriots were the top seed in the Class 4A Mundelein sectional.
Prep Sports | Girls soccer: Benet falls short of state championship for second year in a rowBenet senior defender Sadie Sterbenz slumped to her knees, putting her hands on her face at the 44-yard line on Saturday afternoon at Benedetti-Wehril Stadium.
Prep Sports | Girls lacrosse: Loyola starts strong, tops Hinsdale Central in state championship gameFacing a tough opponent on their home turf, the Loyola girls lacrosse team wanted a fast start in Saturday night's state championship. Mission accomplished.
Prep Sports | Baseball: Schufreider silences Lake Forest in Grayslake Central's sectional winGrayslake Central senior pitcher Will Schufreider told his father when he began in the Rams baseball program his freshman year that he had a dream of being their starting pitcher in a sectional final at home.
Prep Sports | Baseball: Jacobs' 7th-inning comeback comes up just shortWhen Hononegah coach Matt Simpson walked to the mound and took the ball from starter Maddux Hibbard in the top of the seventh inning, Jacobs' side felt like celebrating.
Prep Sports | Baseball: Bottom of the order helps Sycamore end Burlington Central's season in sectional finalWith the middle of the Sycamore order having a collective off day, Collin Severson and the back of the lineup picked things up.
Prep Sports | Softball: Barrington capitalizes on unusual play, beats Huntley in sectional finalCaught in a rundown in the top of the fifth inning, Barrington freshman Nina Brebach ran back and forth between the bases five times before diving head first and stretching out for home plate.
- 6:09 PMSox strike out a lot, but offense shows up at key times
- 11:17 PMLincicome: These NBA Finals lack serious star power
- 10:26 PMGirls lacrosse: Loyola starts strong, tops Hinsdale Central in state championship game
- 9:55 PMImages: Boys state volleyball: Glenbard West vs. Lyons Township
- 7:58 PMCubs place Steele on IL, recall catcher Amaya
Be the first to Know!
Get SPORTS daily in your inbox.
Recommended for You
More Prep Sports
- Prep SportsSoftball: Warren thwarts Buffalo Grove's comeback bid, wins 2nd straight sectional
- Prep SportsSoftball: Oak Park ends Maine South's season in sectional final
- Prep SportsGirls soccer: Benet shuts out Crystal Lake Central, one step away from Class 2A state title
- Prep SportsSoftball: Echevarria swings new bat, sends Antioch to sectional crown
- Prep SportsGirls soccer: Barrington's headed back to state title game after routing Libertyville
- Prep SportsSoftball: Michela Barbanente, Lake Park upset '22 state champ St. Charles North to win first sectional title since 2008
- Prep SportsSoftball: Makenzie Sweeney, Yorkville overpower Wheaton Warrenville South to win sectional title
- Prep SportsBoys volleyball: Glenbrook South pushes Glenbard West to 3 sets, but defending champs move on
- Prep SportsBaseball: Amptmann's home run sparks Sycamore comeback against St. Francis in sectional semis
- Prep SportsBoys lacrosse: Pastore's 7 goals help St. Viator advance to state championship game
- Prep SportsBaseball: Grayslake Central rallies past Crystal Lake South, advances to sectional championship
- Prep SportsSoftball: Wright's first career homer powers Wheaton Warrenville South past West Chicago into sectional final
- Prep SportsBaseball: Hersey's sixth-inning rally beats Barrington
- Prep SportsBoys lacrosse: Wheaton Academy shakes off slow start, reaches state title game for 1st time
- Prep SportsBaseball: Flynn pitches Oswego East past Downers Grove North into sectional final
Inside Prep Sports