Thursday, March 23, 2023
Anger at Macron mounts as French unions hold new protests
Labor strikes upended travel in France on Thursday as French trade unions held their first mass demonstrations since President Emmanuel Macron inflamed public anger by forcing a higher retirement age through parliament without a vote.
Rare tornado near Los Angeles rips building roofs; 1 injuredA rare tornado touched down in a Los Angeles suburb, ripping roofs off a line of commercial buildings and sending the debris twisting into the sky and across a city block, injuring one person.
Israel passes law protecting Netanyahu as protests continueIsrael's parliament on Thursday passed the first of several laws that make up its contentious judicial overhaul as protesters opposing the changes staged another day of demonstrations aimed at raising alarm over what they see as the country's descent toward autocracy.
US jobless claims inch down as labor market remains tightThe labor market continues to defy Federal Reserve attempts to cool hiring, with U.S. applications for unemployment benefits down again last week and remaining at historically low levels.
UK: Man charged over 2 fire attacks on people near mosquesBritish police have charged a 28-year-old man with two counts of attempted murder after men were set on fire near mosques.
Zebra runs loose in Seoul before being taken back to zooA young zebra walked, trotted, and galloped for hours in the busy streets of South Korea's capital before emergency workers tranquilized the animal and brought it back to a zoo.
State House passes bill prohibiting book bansThe Illinois House passed a bill Wednesday that would prohibit libraries from banning books or other material because of partisan or doctrinal pressure, prompting strong opposition from Republicans who called it an assault on local control.
Federal Reserve raises key rate by quarter-point despite bank turmoilThe Federal Reserve extended its yearlong fight against high inflation Wednesday by raising its key interest rate a quarter-point despite concerns that higher borrowing rates could worsen the turmoil that has gripped the banking system.
Powerful Pacific tempest clobbers storm-battered CaliforniaA strong late-season Pacific storm that brought damaging winds and more rain and snow to saturated California has been blamed for two deaths and forecasters said additional flooding was possible Wednesday in parts of the state.
Trump's potential indictment caps decades of legal scrutinyFor 40 years, former President Donald Trump has navigated countless legal investigations without ever facing criminal charges. That record may soon come to an end.
UN: A quarter of world population lacks safe drinking waterA report issued on the eve of the first major U.N. conference on water in over 45 years says 26% of the world's population doesn't have access to safe drinking water and 46% lacks access to basic sanitation.
Ukraine, IMF agree on $15.6 billion loan packageUkraine and the International Monetary Fund have agreed on a $15.6 billion loan package aimed at shoring up government finances severely strained by Russia's invasion and leveraging even more support by reassuring allies that Ukraine is pursuing strong economic policies and fighting corruption.
- 6:29 PMProtecting potential targets: State gives security grants to suburban synagogues, mosques and women's clinics
- 6:16 PMVoters to decide whether Round Lake village clerk should be appointed or elected
- 6:15 PMFormal GOP opposition to $2M Kane County grant arises
- 6:14 PMTwo openings on West Chicago park board
- 6:12 PMDes Plaines resident falls victim to crypto scammer
- 5:01 PMAdvocates push for tax credit to increase affordable housing in Illinois
- 4:30 PMBuffalo Grove police release remaining records on Kisliak slayings, confirm initial findings
Be the first to Know!
Get the NEWS daily in your inbox.
Recommended for You
More Suburban News
- Kane CountyFormal GOP opposition to $2M Kane County grant arises
- Des PlainesDes Plaines resident falls victim to crypto scammer
- ElginElgin Coin Club to host spring show Sunday
- ElginHome Creative Co. puts on musical in Elgin
- Mount ProspectMount Prospect to offer Styrofoam recycling
- ElginElgin church to hold Lenten piano recital
- Business of SportsIllinois Baseball Academy debuts new space in Northbrook
- ElginEcker Center in Elgin opens new program to help offset mental health ER visits
- ElginElgin mayoral candidates go on the attack in recent voter forum
- NewsExpress services added at Deerfield driver's license facility
- ElginJudson's World Leader Forum celebrates Olympian who inspired 'Chariots of Fire'
- Mount ProspectMount Prospect to hire two more cops, install license plate readers
- AuroraProtecting potential targets: State gives security grants to suburban synagogues, mosques and women's clinics
- Round LakeVoters to decide whether Round Lake village clerk should be appointed or elected
- Buffalo GroveBuffalo Grove police release remaining records on Kisliak slayings, confirm initial findings