Militant who killed 101 at Pakistan mosque wore uniform
A suicide bomber who killed 101 people at a decades-old mosque in northwest Pakistan this week had disguised himself in a police uniform and did not raise suspicion among guards, the provincial police chief said on Thursday.
Impassioned calls for police reform at Tyre Nichols' funeralTyre Nichols' family and friends gathered Wednesday for a funeral that blended a celebration of his life with outrage over the brutal beating he endured at the hands of Memphis police and heated calls for police reform.
High-level Kyiv visit aims to deepen EU-Ukraine tiesSenior members of the European Union's executive branch traveled to Ukraine on Thursday looking to boost relations with the war-torn country and pave the way for it to one day join the bloc, but concerns over corruption and democratic deficiencies remain.
EU officials visit Kyiv as Russia strikes civilian targetTop European Union officials arrived in Kyiv on Thursday for talks with the Ukrainian government as rescue crews dug through the rubble of an apartment building in eastern Ukraine that was struck by a Russian missile, killing at least three people and wounding 21 others.
Pope rallies Congo's youth, and gets a thunderous responsePope Francis urged Congo's young people to work for a peaceful and honest future on Thursday, directing himself to a generation that has been particularly hard hit by the country's chronic conflict and getting a raucous response when he acknowledged the corruption that threatens their prospects.
Syria blasts chemical watchdog report on 2018 attackSyria on Thursday dismissed the global chemical weapons watchdog's statement that investigators found "reasonable grounds to believe" the air force dropped two cylinders of chlorine gas on the city of Douma in 2018.
Targeting Iran, US tightens Iraq's dollar flow, causing painFor months, the United States has restricted Iraq's access to its own dollars, trying to stamp out what Iraqi officials describe as rampant money laundering that benefits Iran and Syria. Iraq is now feeling the crunch, with a drop in the value of its currency and public anger blowing back against the prime minister.
Austria expels 4 Russian diplomats based in ViennaAustria's government said Thursday that it has ordered four diplomats based in Vienna, including two at Moscow's mission to U.N. agencies in the city, to leave the country.
Biden lawyer: FBI finds no classified documents at beach houseThe FBI searched President Joe Biden's vacation home in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, on Wednesday without finding any classified documents, the president's attorney said. Agents did take some handwritten notes and other materials relating to Biden's time as vice president for review.
Federal Reserve lifts rate by quarter-point and signals more hikes aheadThe Federal Reserve extended its fight against high inflation Wednesday by raising its key interest rate by a quarter-point, its eighth hike since March. And the Fed signaled that even though inflation is easing, it remains high enough to require further rate hikes.
Hunter Biden seeks federal probe of Trump allies over laptopLawyers for President Joe Biden's son, Hunter, have asked the Justice Department to investigate close allies of former President Donald Trump and others who they say accessed and disseminated personal data from a laptop that he dropped off at a Delaware computer repair shop in 2019. In a separate letter, Biden's attorneys have also asked Fox News host Tucker Carlson to retract and apologize for what they say are false and defamatory claims.
Republican-led committee targets COVID relief aid for reviewHouse Republicans on Wednesday began their promised aggressive oversight of the Biden administration, focusing on what watchdogs described as "indications of widespread fraud" in federal coronavirus aid programs initiated under President Donald Trump.
Republicans set to oust Rep. Omar from Foreign Affairs panelNewly empowered House Republicans are preparing to oust Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar, a Somali-born Muslim lawmaker, from the House Foreign Affairs Committee over her past comments critical of Israel -- and as payback after Democrats booted far-right GOP lawmakers from committees for their incendiary, violent remarks.
- 6:49 AM'Dances With Wolves' actor due in court in sex abuse probe
- 10:54 PMFederal judge rules wrongful death suit can proceed against Kyle Rittenhouse
- 10:47 PMAmid 'unprecedented' prolonged revenue boom, state finds budget breathing room
- 10:40 PMIn documentary, DePaul filmmakers explore Bears' possible move to Arlington Heights
- 10:18 PMWoman charged with concealing death of mother found in freezer in Portage Park
- 9:07 PMWinter storm causes third day of dangerous, icy conditions in Southern states
- 7:22 PMAP Black history class revised by College Board after Florida rejected it
More Suburban News
- NapervilleNaperville man struck by car, killed near Edward Hospital
- WheatonDowntown Wheaton apartment complex sold to JVM Realty
- DuPage County3 charged with stealing $1,668 in perfume from Walgreens store, fleeing police
- SchaumburgBillboard, hot dog stand's days are numbered as Schaumburg closes on purchase of eyesore site
- Buffalo GroveLongtime Buffalo Grove police leader retires after 34-year career
- AntiochFederal judge rules wrongful death suit can proceed against Kyle Rittenhouse
- Girls' BasketballBarrington routs Palatine for 20th victory
- Boys' BasketballDuPage County boys basketball notes: Addison Trail recovers from rough stretch
- Boys' BasketballGlenbrook North's scoring run holds off rally by Glenbrook South
- Girls' BasketballFox girls basketball notes: St. Charles East alum Claussner enjoying life on other side as Geneva coach
- Girls' GymnasticsStrong performance in floor exercise sends Geneva to regional title
- Girls' BasketballWheaton North grad Hyde finds a home in backcourt for No. 1-ranked Morton College
- WheatonHow The GardenWorks Project in Wheaton helps neighbors in need grow their own food
- Special ReportIn documentary, DePaul filmmakers explore Bears' possible move to Arlington Heights
- NewsNorthbrook's Ciesla looks back, ahead in State of the Village address