Springman's eighth-grade moved to remote learning after 13 test positive for COVID

Updated 12/15/2021 2:10 PM

Eighth-grade students at Springman Middle School in Glenview have been placed in adaptive pause until the end of winter break, Jan. 3.

In a message sent to all district families on Dec. 7 by Glenview School District 34 Superintendent Dane Delli, and enacted the next day on the directive of the Cook County Department of Public Health, the Springman eighth-grade class of 269 students moved to remote learning after multiple cases of COVID-19.


The school week of Nov. 29-Dec. 3 saw 11 positive cases of at least three students each among three classrooms, said district official Cathy Kedjidjian.

The CCDPH told the school it could keep students in school as long as a 6-foot distance between them could be maintained in the effective classrooms, and there were no new cases found in twice-weekly outbreak testing.

On the first day of outbreak testing, Dec. 6, two more cases were discovered. Unable to provide affected students with 6 feet of distancing in class or in the lunchroom, it shared the information with the CCDPH, which advised a brief return to remote learning.

The pause runs 14 days from the last case recorded; winter break begins after school Dec. 17.

"Teachers and staff at Springman did an incredible job of moving to remote learning, shifting their instruction and ensuring students had the links and resources they need to connect and learn from home. The eighth-graders are following their daily schedule in the remote environment," Kedjidjian said in an email.

Springman students in sixth- and seventh-grades were able to remain in school.

Based on self-reported numbers, 180 of the 269 Springman eighth-graders have been vaccinated, or 67%, Kedjidjian said. Specific numbers of Springman staff are not available, but 97% of teachers and staff throughout District 34 have been vaccinated, with the remaining 3% providing a weekly test, she said.

Article Comments
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.