Graduates in the Class of 2021: 41
Valedictorian: Noah Depledge
Salutatorian: Olivia Daoud
Ariel Award: Hannah Learned
Distinguished Scholars: Karisa Campos; Nathan Cojocarescu; Hayden Colclasure; Margaret D'Alessandro; Noah Depledge; Olivia Daoud; Daniel Doby; Matthew Ellett; Avery Horn; Maya Jenkins; Brandon Keeran; Hannah Learned; Nathanael Martinez; Brianna Nelson; Alexa Pupich; Alexandra Shepherd; Natalie Smolinksi; William Squires; Alexander Powell; John Tatum IV; Faith Winkelman.
• Moderator -- John Tatum
• Invocation -- Olivia Daoud
• Testimonies -- Matthew Ellett, Natalie Smolinski, Alexander Powell, Brianna Nelson, Melissa Fuja, Alexa Pupich
• Senior Charge -- Alexandra Shepherd
• Senior Chronicle -- Brandon Keeran
• Parent Tribute -- Noah Martinez
• Two worship songs led by Avery Horn and Alexa Pupich
• Senior Challenge -- Noah Depledge
Student Council: President -- Noah Depledge; Vice President -- Olivia Daoud; Secretary -- Brianna Nelson; Director of Operations -- Alexandra Shepherd; Athletic Director -- Brandon Keeran; Spiritual Director -- Avery Horn; Art Director -- Victoria Strissel; Director of Marketing -- Rory Shepherd; Director of Human Relations -- Eva Camp; Tech Director -- Gunther Bethge.
National Honor Society senior members: Graham Brown; Maggie D'Alessandro; Olivia Daoud; Matthew Ellett; Avery Horn; Maya Jenkins; Hannah Learned; Brianna Nelson; Alexander Powell; Alexa Pupich; Alexandra Shepherd; John Tatum; Faith Winkelman.
• Louis Armstrong Award -- Nathan Cojocarescu (given in recognition of outstanding musical achievement and an incredible dedication to the program)
• John Philip Sousa Award -- William Squires (recognizes superior musicianship, dependability, loyalty, and cooperation)
• Mathew Olech -- placed 7th at Cross Country in state this year. Has qualified for state every year and was all-state his junior year as well. Currently ranked as a top 50 runner in the nation.
• Hayden Colclasure -- placed 9th at Cross Country state this year
• Boys Cross Country Team won regionals, sectionals, and state this year
• Golf -- John Tatum was all-conference
• Boys Soccer -- Daniel Doby, Ryan Floyd, Nate Martinez were all-conference
• Boys Basketball -- Daniel Doby was all-conference
• "How To Survive Being In a Shakespeare Play"
• "Alice in Winter Wonderland: (this was a middle school play directed by some of our high school students)
• "Seussical the Musical"
What traditional events were adapted for the pandemic and how?
Our HCA Seniors experienced as normal a school year as possible with events including homecoming, spirit weeks, theater productions, prom, senior breakfast, and graduation all in-person. Some adjustments included protocols like masks, temperature checks and waivers.
What were the most significant challenges faced by the Class of 2021 and how did they overcome them?
We are thankful to have had a successful in-person school year. We worked very hard to adhere to the protocols, care for our community and move some events to online options, where it made sense to do so. Our staff remained flexible and continued to be caring and encouraging to each individual throughout the year, all while managing their own emotions and fatigue. Our students persevered and overcame challenges to stay in person. We are PROUD of our HCA community, especially our seniors!
Principal's reflections on the Class of 2021:
Dear HCA Senior Class of 2021,
You did it! We are so very proud of you and everything you have accomplished ... not just in a pandemic year but over the past 12 years! Your graduation week was an amazing opportunity to honor all your work, celebrate the care and support of your families, and to hear how God has worked in your life during your time at HCA. You are lights in this world for Christ! Go shine brightly!
-- Dr. Judy Bethge