Thursday, June 1, 2023
House OKs debt ceiling bill to avoid default, sends deal to Senate
President Joe Biden and Speaker Kevin McCarthy assembled a bipartisan coalition of centrist Democrats and Republicans against conservative blowback and progressive dissent.
DeSantis plays up his personal side and swipes at Trump in campaign blitz across IowaRon DeSantis begins his first full day of presidential campaigning on Wednesday with a four-stop blitz through Iowa, trying to prioritize personally connecting with voters while proving he has the mettle to take on former President Donald Trump.
Nevada Republican governor approves abortion protections in cross-party moveNevada's Joe Lombardo on Tuesday became one of the first Republican governors to enshrine protections for out-of-state abortion patients and in-state providers, adding the western swing state to the list of those passing new laws to solidify their status as safe havens for abortion patients.
North Korea spy satellite launch fails as rocket falls into the seaNorth Korea's attempt to put its first spy satellite into space failed Wednesday in a setback to leader Kim Jong Un's push to boost his military capabilities as tensions with the United States and South Korea rise.
Some residents of collapsed Iowa building remain missing, while pets were rescued from safer areaOfficials said rescue teams entered a part of the building on Tuesday that was deemed a lower risk and they rescued several animals, which were brought to the local Humane Society. A statement from the city said: "Crews continued to search for human activity and none was detected."
Changes to food aid in debt bill would cost money, far from savings GOP envisionedA Republican attempt to expand work requirements for federal food aid in debt legislation moving through Congress would increase federal spending by $2.1 billion over 10 years -- far from the cuts GOP lawmakers had promised.
EU aspirant Moldova prepares to host major international summitEuropean leaders started gathering in Moldova Wednesday on the eve of a sprawling summit aiming to show a united front in the face of Russia's war in Ukraine and underscore support for the Eastern European country's ambitions to draw closer to the West and keep Moscow at bay.
China's commerce minister meets Tesla's Musk, promises support to foreign companiesChina's commerce minister met Tesla Ltd. CEO Elon Musk on Wednesday and promised to support the development of foreign companies, the ministry said.
China responds to U.S. complaint over plane intercept with demand for end to surveillance flightsBeijing responded Wednesday to complaints from the United States about a Chinese fighter jet's dangerous interception of an American Air Force reconnaissance aircraft in international airspace over the South China Sea by demanding an end to such flights.
Typhoon Mawar losing strength as it heads toward Japan's Okinawa IslandsTyphoon Mawar appeared to be losing force as it headed Wednesday toward Japan's Okinawa Islands, where the United States maintains a significant military presence, after largely skirting Taiwan and the Philippines.
CEOs got smaller raises. It would still take a typical worker 2 lifetimes to make their annual payThe typical compensation package for chief executives who run S&P 500 companies rose just 0.9% last year, to a median of $14.8 million, according to data analyzed for The Associated Press by Equilar. That means half the CEOs in the survey made more and half made less. It was the smallest increase since 2015.
Jury selection begins in trial of former deputy accused of failing to confront Parkland shooterJury selection began Wednesday in the trial of a former Florida sheriff's deputy charged with failing to confront the shooter who killed 14 students and three staff members at a Parkland high school five years ago.
- 11:01 PMA first for Illinois: Glen Ellyn installs playground made of recycled ocean waste
- 9:43 PMLake Zurich making green energy option available to residents
- 9:26 PMTeenage bicyclist critically injured in Batavia collision
- 8:27 PMPalatine keeps Red Roof Inn closed in wake of illicit activity
- 8:25 PM$2,000 tickets at Soldier Field? Even the biggest Taylor Swift fans have their limits
- 7:10 PMTwo Aurora residents charged in women's stabbings
- 6:59 PMThe Anvil Club is closing to make way for a new restaurant in East Dundee
Be the first to Know!
Get the NEWS daily in your inbox.
Recommended for You
More Suburban News
- AuroraMan gets 40 years for Aurora murder, where he thought victim was in rival gang
- AuroraTwo Aurora residents charged in women's stabbings
- Downers GroveTwo bridges reopen in Hidden Lake Forest Preserve near Downers Grove
- CrimeWestmont man again accused of DUI, fleeing police
- ElginElgin's first LGBTQ+ Pride Parade and Festival Saturday
- North AuroraCommunity garage sales in North Aurora to benefit Anderson Humane
- PoliticsKatz Muhl to challenge Carroll for 57th District state representative
- WaukeganWarrant issued for second suspect in Waukegan school battery case
- Prep SportsSoftball: Savage's stellar pitching leads Lake Park over South Elgin in sectional semifinal
- Prep SportsBaseball: Person, defense lead Burlington Central to sectional semifinal victory over Lemont
- Prep SportsBaseball: Lake Forest takes advantage of hot bats, Cary-Grove errors
- Prep SportsBaseball: Stevenson's 5-run first too much for Libertyville to overcome
- Prep SportsSoftball: Antonucci listens to coach, slugs Wauconda to sectional win over Carmel
- Glen EllynA first for Illinois: Glen Ellyn installs playground made of recycled ocean waste
- Lake ZurichLake Zurich making green energy option available to residents
Geneva, Wheaton North, Wheaton Warrenville South, Aurora Central Catholic and Willows academy graduation ceremonies