Suspect in Elburn attempted murder case arrested again

  • Frank E. Ryan

    Frank E. Ryan

Updated 4/9/2020 4:01 PM

A 33-year-old man free on bond from a January attempted murder case in Elburn was arrested early Thursday with a loaded gun, according to police.

Frank E. Ryan, of the 300 block of North Cedar Street in Waterman, faces charges of possession of a firearm with a revoked Firearm Owner's Identification card, two counts of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon and violation of a bail bond, all felonies, according to Elburn police and Kane County court records.


Ryan's FOID card had been revoked after his arrest on two counts of attempted murder and other felonies.

According to prosecutors, Ryan is accused of rerouting a natural gas line on Jan. 19 by drilling a hole in the exposed gas line outside a house on the 500 block Downing Street in Elburn, drilling a hole through the house's exterior wall, then using a tube to direct natural gas into the house.

A resident of the house awoke to a strong odor of natural gas at 2:26 a.m., heard a loud hissing noise and called 911 after finding the tube, police said.

Thursday's arrest came after Elburn police responded at 2:56 a.m. to the area of Paul and Hicks streets for a suspicious incident. Ryan had called for a tow after his vehicle got stuck in mud at the edge of an undeveloped field. The house where Ryan was charged with tampering with the gas line was at the other end of the open field, Elburn Police Chief Nick Sikora said.

"The tow truck driver felt it was odd (Ryan) being out at that location at 2:45 in the morning. He's not from the area," Sikora said.

by signing up you agree to our terms of service

Responding officers knew Ryan was free on $20,000 bond from his January arrest. Police said they found a loaded gun in Ryan's vehicle and Ryan's FOID card had been revoked after the January charges.

Sikora declined to specify the weapon Ryan is accused of possessing.

Ryan's bail was set at $1 million, meaning he must post $100,000 bond to be released while the case is pending.

If convicted of attempted murder, he faces a top sentence of 30 years in prison. Ryan also faces a sentence ranging from probation to up to five years in prison if convicted of the most severe charge from Thursday's arrest.

Ryan is next due in court May 7.

Article Comments
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.