Pets rescued after fire breaks out in Huntley home

Updated 8/25/2019 6:47 PM

Firefighters rescued a dog, a bird and a gecko Sunday morning after fire broke out in a Huntley home, displacing the family who lives there.

Huntley Fire Protection District firefighters dispatched to the home in the 10700 block of Santa Fe Trail at 10:43 a.m. arrived two minutes later to find heavy fire at the back of the residence, officials said.


By the time they extinguished those flames about 20 minutes later, the fire had extended into the attic of the two-story, single-family house.

No one was at home at the time, but the family's pets were located and brought out alive. They were given into the care of neighbors, fire officials said.

Damage to the home was estimated at $130,000, with the living room sustaining mainly smoke and water damage while flames damaged a sunroom and attic.

Six other departments assisted the Huntley fire district, officials said.

Article Comments
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.