Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade; states can ban abortion
The Supreme Court on Friday ended constitutional protections for abortion that had stood in America for nearly a half-century. The decision by the court's conservative majority overturned the landmark Roe v. Wade ruling and is expected to lead to abortion bans in roughly half the states.
'This is not over': Biden vows abortion fight, assails 'extreme' court rulingPresident Joe Biden said Friday that "it's a sad day for the court and the country" after the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 decision that legalized abortion nationwide.
How U.S. states have banned, limited or protected abortionThe U.S. Supreme Court on Friday overturned Roe v. Wade, the 1973 decision that had provided a constitutional right to abortion. The ruling is expected to lead to abortion bans in roughly half the states. In anticipation of the decision, several states led by Democrats have taken steps to protect abortion access.
Ukrainian army leaving battered city for fortified positionsAfter weeks of ferocious fighting, Ukrainian forces will retreat from a besieged city in the country's east to move to stronger positions, a regional governor said Friday.
US envoy to Israel lives in a luxe rental, a Trump legacyThe U.S. envoy to Israel has moved into a new rental property in Jerusalem
Norwegian man convicted of killing 5 in bow-and-arrow attackA man has been found guilty of murder and attempted murder for killing five people and wounding four others in southern Norway when he attacked strangers with a bow and arrows and knives
India flies tons of essentials to quake-rocked AfghanistanIndia is sending family tents, blankets and other relief supplies for a team to distribute in eastern Afghan villages where a deadly earthquake collapsed thousands of timber and stone homes to rubble
Turkey: Qatari, Azerbaijani aircraft join wildfire fightWater-dropping aircraft from Azerbaijan and Qatar have joined the fight against a wind-stoked wildfire that is burning for a fourth day near a popular resort in southwestern Turkey
Amazon providing $23M for affordable housing in SeattleAmazon says it's providing $23 million to help minority-led organizations build or preserve more than 500 new affordable housing units in Seattle
Today in History: June 24, Cabot spots North AmericaToday in History Today is Friday, June 24, the 175th day of 2022. There are 190 days left in the year.
2 killed in mass shooting in Norway; more than a dozen hurtNorwegian police say two people have been killed and more than a dozen injured in a mass shooting in Oslo
- 11:06 PMEx-Minneapolis officer who killed 911 caller to be released
- 11:00 PMToday in History: June 25, Anne Frank's diary published
- 10:58 PMLive updates | Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade
- 10:03 PMNorwegian police say 2 people have been killed and more than a dozen injured in a mass shooting in Oslo
- 9:29 PMActivists on both sides of abortion battle demonstrate in suburbs
- 8:58 PMGraduating Uvalde High School class remembers slain children
- 8:34 PMHow US states have banned, limited or protected abortion
More Suburban News
- Cook CountyCook County Board District 9 Democratic candidates weigh in on public safety
- NapervilleNaperville approves additional outdoor dining permits despite sidewalk space concerns
- PoliticsFour seek GOP nod for two DuPage County Forest Preserve seats
- McHenry CountyTadelman injects $25K loan into McHenry County sheriff's race before primary election
- AuroraTwo hospitalized with stab wounds after attack in Aurora
- AlgonquinAlgonquin park improvements to include new bandshell, playground
- NapervilleBrightside Theatre summer performance canceled
- SchaumburgNo injuries after SUV crashes into Schaumburg townhouse
- Lake CountyLake County urges residents to 'Fight the Bite'
- WheatonWheaton Mosquito Abatement District has open trustee spot
- PoliticsCongress hopefuls court suburban voters in Latino-leaning district
- Cook CountyCook County sheriff race: Dart, Rivera on how they would combat rise in gun violence, crime
- Education'Gender Queer' novel's inclusion on reading list sparks debate in Barrington school district
- Hoffman EstatesParade, fireworks highlight Northwest Fourth-Fest
- AuroraActivists on both sides of abortion battle demonstrate in suburbs