Thursday, March 23, 2023
Powerful Pacific tempest clobbers storm-battered California
A strong late-season Pacific storm that brought damaging winds and more rain and snow to saturated California has been blamed for two deaths and forecasters said additional flooding was possible Wednesday in parts of the state.
Federal Reserve raises key rate by quarter-point despite bank turmoilThe Federal Reserve extended its yearlong fight against high inflation Wednesday by raising its key interest rate a quarter-point despite concerns that higher borrowing rates could worsen the turmoil that has gripped the banking system.
Trump's potential indictment caps decades of legal scrutinyFor 40 years, former President Donald Trump has navigated countless legal investigations without ever facing criminal charges. That record may soon come to an end.
UN: A quarter of world population lacks safe drinking waterA report issued on the eve of the first major U.N. conference on water in over 45 years says 26% of the world's population doesn't have access to safe drinking water and 46% lacks access to basic sanitation.
Ukraine, IMF agree on $15.6 billion loan packageUkraine and the International Monetary Fund have agreed on a $15.6 billion loan package aimed at shoring up government finances severely strained by Russia's invasion and leveraging even more support by reassuring allies that Ukraine is pursuing strong economic policies and fighting corruption.
Ukraine: Russia hits apartments and dorm, killing civiliansRussia stepped up its missile and drone attacks against Ukraine on Wednesday, killing students and other civilians, in a violent follow-up to dueling high-level diplomatic missions aimed at bringing peace after 13 months of war.
North Korea fires cruise missiles as allies stage drillsNorth Korea launched cruise missiles toward the sea on Wednesday, South Korea's military said, three days after the North carried out what it called a simulated nuclear attack on South Korea to protest its military drills with the United States.
Republicans invoke Soros to steer narrative on Trump probeAs former President Donald Trump braces for a potential indictment related to hush money payments made on his behalf during his 2016 campaign, Republicans blasting the case as politically motivated are blaming a frequent target: George Soros.
Transgender youth: 'Forced outing' bills make schools unsafeAs hundreds of bills nationwide take aim at nearly every facet of transgender existence, from health care to athletics to bathroom access, trans kids and their families say certain proposals could eliminate one of the last remaining safe havens to explore their identities: K-12 public schools.
Kansas lawmakers near approval of 'born alive' abortion billA Kansas proposal based on the disputed idea that providers leave infants to die after they're born during abortions is nearing legislative approval, as Republicans pursue limited anti-abortion measures following a decisive statewide vote last year protecting abortion rights.
India police hunt Sikh leader, arrest separatist supportersIndian police have launched a search for a separatist leader who has revived calls for an independent Sikh homeland, stirring fears of violence in northwestern Punjab state where there's a history of bloody insurgency.
Gwyneth Paltrow ski collision trial brings doctors to standA radiologist showed X-rays and brain scans on Wednesday morning as attorneys for a man suing Gwyneth Paltrow tried to persuade the jury that a 2016 ski collision at an upscale Utah ski resort inflicted lasting damage.
- 11:13 PM'A cloud over the dais': Naperville mayor, council member trade barbs over campaign mailer, transparency
- 10:16 PMKristin Cunningham: 2023 candidate for Barrington Area Public Library Board, 6-year term
- 10:14 PMPeter Cladis: 2023 candidate for Geneva Park District Board
- 10:09 PMLorna Turner: 2023 candidate for Lisle Library Board
- 10:07 PMFrancie D'Amico: 2023 candidate for Park Ridge-Niles District 64 School Board, 4-year term
- 9:58 PMRamadan begins as Muslims flock to suburban mosques for nightly prayers and observe daily fasting
- 9:52 PMAllison Lanthrum: 2023 candidate for St. Charles Public Library Board
Be the first to Know!
Get the NEWS daily in your inbox.
Recommended for You
More Suburban News
- Naperville'A cloud over the dais': Naperville mayor, council member trade barbs over campaign mailer, transparency
- Mount ProspectMount Prospect to hire two more cops, install license plate readers
- Glendale HeightsDefendant in Schaumburg killing testifies that he feared victim
- ElginElgin mayoral candidates go on the attack in recent voter forum
- WaucondaGolf carts, ATVs will be allowed on Wauconda streets -- with conditions
- NewsWheeling Township mental health board takes first steps
- CrimePolice investigating armed robbery outside Arlington Heights motel
- Sugar GroveSugar Grove Village Board candidates sound off on development during forum
- Vernon HillsVernon Hills to honor local veterans with banners
- News'Screenwise' author to speak on kids and technology
- NewsJCC to hold Passover activities for families, young adults in Northbrook
- Prep FootballCoach: One man's look at the Maine South football situation
- Special ReportArlington Heights mayor calls accusations of coziness with Bears 'offensive'
- Kane CountyKane County GOP sees $2M grant as Democratic election interference
- PalatineHow you can help Palatine fire victims