Tuesday, March 28, 2023
Nashville shooter was ex-student with detailed plan to kill
The former student who shot through the doors of a Christian elementary school in Nashville and killed three children and three adults had drawn a detailed map of the school, including potential entry points, and conducted surveillance of the building before carrying out the massacre.
Israel tensions ease as Netanyahu pauses judicial overhaulIsrael's political factions opposed to embattled Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu began setting up negotiating teams Tuesday after he paused a controversial judicial overhaul plan that had triggered unprecedented street protests and a spiraling domestic crisis.
39 dead in fire at Mexico migrant center near US borderA fire in a dormitory at a Mexican immigration detention center near the U.S. border left more than three dozen migrants dead, a government agency said Tuesday, in one of the deadliest incidents ever at an immigration lockup in the country.
Study says warming-fueled supercells to hit South more oftenAmerica will probably get more killer tornado- and hail-spawning supercells as the world warms, according to a new study that also warns the lethal storms will edge eastward to strike more frequently in the more populous Southern states, like Alabama, Mississippi and Tennessee.
Feel the Force: Hamill carries 'Star Wars' voice to Ukraine"Attention. Air raid alert," the voice says with a Jedi knight's gravitas. "Proceed to the nearest shelter." It's a surreal moment in an already surreal war: the grave but calming baritone of actor Mark Hamill, Luke Skywalker of "Star Wars," urging people to take cover whenever Russia unleashes another aerial bombardment on Ukraine.
High tornado death toll in Mississippi like losing family"I had to identify family, that's what it felt like," said Sharkey County Coroner Angelia Eason. "We're a close-knit community; we're small. And when something like this happens, we tend to come together even closer. We didn't just lose 13 people, we lost 13 family members."
Wall Street quiet as stability appears to return for banksU.S. futures are flat in light trading Tuesday as anxiety over the strength of the global banking sector, triggered by the collapse of Silicon Valley Bank, eased.
Prince Harry returns to court in tabloid phone hacking casePrince Harry returned to a London court Tuesday for a second day of hearings to see if the phone hacking lawsuit he brought with Elton John and other celebrities can withstand a challenge from the publisher of The Daily Mail.
Portugal: 2 dead, several injured in Muslim center stabbingPortuguese police shot a man suspected of stabbing two people to death at an Ismaili Muslim center in Lisbon, authorities said Tuesday.
All 7 Pennsylvania chocolate factory explosion victims foundAll seven bodies have been recovered from the site of a powerful explosion at a chocolate factory in a small town in eastern Pennsylvania, officials said.
Monday night Ingleside fire leaves house uninhabitableNo injuries were reported in a Monday evening house fire in Ingleside that left the home uninhabitable.
Why Mundelein police are donating 28 bicycles to charitable groupMundelein police are going to donate 28 unclaimed bicycles to a nonprofit group that will repair them and give them to people who are poor or experiencing other hardships.
- 8:53 AMThirteen Merrill Wealth Management Advisors named to 2023 Forbes 'Top Women Wealth Advisors Best-in-State' list
- 7:03 AMLongtime customers say goodbye as Tribella Bar and Grill in Batavia closes its doors after 26 years
- 7:00 AMHelping Buffalo Grove tell its story: Village hires national branding consultant
- 6:57 AMElgin may form civilian review board, but police union must agree
- 11:15 PM'A positive sign': Community colleges see continued enrollment growth
- 10:04 PMFrom mixed messages to micromanaging, District 25 challengers criticize how board handled pandemic
- 9:44 PMMount Prospect honors Vietnam vets
Be the first to Know!
Get the NEWS daily in your inbox.
Recommended for You
More Suburban News
- InglesideMonday night Ingleside fire leaves house uninhabitable
- NewsThree generations of flight: Suburban native gets wings, joining grandfather, father
- Elgin'We have to prepare': Towns grapple with more freight trains heading their way
- WayneHow this dog's death led to a bitter race for Wayne village president
- AuroraIslamic group marks Ramadan with food distribution to communities in need
- Special ReportWhy tax expert, former state rep says Arlington grandstand's days could be numbered
- AuroraMan found guilty in 2005 Aurora gang-related murder
- PoliticsMost -- but not all -- District 64 candidates supported COVID-19 orders for masking and more
- Hoffman EstatesPolice: Man and woman arrested after trying to rob Hoffman Estates bike store
- NapervilleShould Naperville offer tax incentives for developers? City council candidates differ
- Cook CountyContractor now accused of bribing worker in Cook County assessor's office
- Mount ProspectMount Prospect honors Vietnam vets
- Boys' GymnasticsBoys gymnastics notes: Looking back at memorable night at Meadows invite
- MundeleinWhy Mundelein police are donating 28 bicycles to charitable group
- EducationFrom mixed messages to micromanaging, District 25 challengers criticize how board handled pandemic