Hakeem Jeffries elected to lead House Dems' next generation
Emboldened House Democrats ushered in a new generation of leaders on Wednesday with Rep. Hakeem Jeffries elected to be the first Black American to head a major political party in Congress as long-serving Speaker Nancy Pelosi and her team step aside next year.
Tornadoes wrecking homes around South fueled by record highsTornadoes damaged numerous homes, destroyed a fire station, briefly trapped people in a grocery store and ripped the roof off an apartment complex in Mississippi, while two people died as a tree crunched their mobile home in Alabama, authorities said Wednesday.
Landmark bill to protect same-sex marriages passed by Senate 61-36The Senate passed bipartisan legislation Tuesday to protect same-sex marriages, an extraordinary sign of shifting national politics on the issue and a measure of relief for the hundreds of thousands of same-sex couples who have married since the Supreme Court's 2015 decision that legalized gay marriage nationwide.
Christine McVie, Fleetwood Mac singer-songwriter, dies at 79Christine McVie, the British-born Fleetwood Mac vocalist, songwriter and keyboard player whose cool, soulful contralto helped define such classics as "You Make Loving Fun," "Everywhere" and "Don't Stop," died Wednesday at age 79.
Oath Keepers boss guilty of seditious conspiracy in 1/6 caseOath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes was convicted Tuesday of seditious conspiracy for a violent plot to overturn President Joe Biden's election, handing the Justice Department a major victory in its massive prosecution of the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection.
Penalty asked for doctor who spoke of 10-year-old's abortionIndiana's Republican attorney general on Wednesday asked the state medical licensing board to discipline an Indianapolis doctor who has spoken publicly about providing an abortion to a 10-year-old rape victim who traveled from Ohio after its more-restrictive abortion law took effect.
No longer the fringe: Small-town voters fear for AmericaIn a picturesque corner of western Wisconsin, a growing right-wing conservative movement has rocketed to prominence.
Qatar says worker deaths for World Cup 'between 400 and 500'A top Qatari official involved in the country's World Cup organization has put the number of worker deaths for the tournament "between 400 and 500" for the first time, a drastically higher number than any other previously offered by Doha.
Bipartisan state plan to pay down remaining unemployment debt aimed at reducing employers' taxesIn an effort to save businesses nearly a billion dollars in unemployment taxes, lawmakers on Tuesday announced a bipartisan plan to use the state's budget surplus to pay down the remaining $1.4 billion in unemployment debt taken on during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Iran-US World Cup clash rife with political tensionThe last World Cup clash between the United States and Iran 24 years ago is considered one of the most politically charged matches in soccer history. This time, the political overtones are just as strong and relations perhaps even more fraught as the U.S. and Iran face off once again on Tuesday in Qatar.
Students sent home, police on patrol as China curbs protestsChinese universities sent students home and police fanned out in Beijing and Shanghai to prevent more protests Tuesday after crowds angered by severe anti-virus restrictions called for leader Xi Jinping to resign in the biggest show of public dissent in decades.
EXPLAINER: What hazards are posed by Hawaii's Mauna Loa?Lava is shooting 100 feet to 200 feet (30 to 60 meters) into the air as Hawaii's Mauna Loa, the world's largest active volcano, erupts for the first time in nearly 40 years.
- 8:27 PMFive found dead in Buffalo Grove home in what police call a domestic situation
- 8:01 PMSome suburbs, Kane County join program to prepare for electric vehicles
- 7:18 PMState lawmakers pass measure limiting state investment in Russian assets
- 7:18 PMAppellate panel reverses contempt citations against DCFS director
- 6:07 PMLake in the Hills man charged with reckless homicide in I-90 crash
- 5:47 PM308-page amendment to SAFE-T Act's cash bail overhaul filed in Springfield. Here's what's in it.
- 4:41 PMSuburban woman sentenced to 18 months probation for Jan. 6 riot at Capitol
More Suburban News
- Des PlainesDes Plaines resident loses $5,000 to cryptocurrency scam
- CarpentersvilleTeacher charged with sexually abusing kids at Elgin child care center
- Oak BrookVioli bringing modern twist to favorite Greek dishes in Oakbrook Center
- Villa ParkVilla Park's Joyful Traditions returns Saturday
- BataviaBatavia man faces child pornography charges
- GurneeGurnee man, 83, in critical condition after one-car crash in Wadsworth
- Round Lake ParkPop-up food giveaway Saturday in Round Lake Park
- MundeleinMundelein hires builder for $1.3 million park on Courtland Street
- Hoffman EstatesHoffman Estates trustee candidate's petition droppped for lack of signatures
- NewsInflation, labor costs drive request for higher tax levy in Dist. 303
- BartlettJuvenile charged with armed robbery of Bartlett gas station
- AlgonquinSecretary of state worker from Algonquin accused of misconduct
- SchaumburgEviction leads to drug, weapon charges against Schaumburg woman
- MundeleinMundelein's new police dog, Ranger, takes his first public bow
- BartlettBartlett tree-lighting event Dec. 2 to bring road detours