Wednesday, May 31, 2023
House debt ceiling vote nears to avert default with Biden and McCarthy both confident of passage
The default-averting debt ceiling and budget cuts package headed toward a crucial House vote Wednesday as President Joe Biden and Speaker Kevin McCarthy assembled a coalition of centrist Democratic and Republican supporters against fierce conservative blowback and progressive dissent.
DeSantis plays up his personal side and swipes at Trump in campaign blitz across IowaRon DeSantis begins his first full day of presidential campaigning on Wednesday with a four-stop blitz through Iowa, trying to prioritize personally connecting with voters while proving he has the mettle to take on former President Donald Trump.
Nevada Republican governor approves abortion protections in cross-party moveNevada's Joe Lombardo on Tuesday became one of the first Republican governors to enshrine protections for out-of-state abortion patients and in-state providers, adding the western swing state to the list of those passing new laws to solidify their status as safe havens for abortion patients.
North Korea spy satellite launch fails as rocket falls into the seaNorth Korea's attempt to put its first spy satellite into space failed Wednesday in a setback to leader Kim Jong Un's push to boost his military capabilities as tensions with the United States and South Korea rise.
Some residents of collapsed Iowa building remain missing, while pets were rescued from safer areaOfficials said rescue teams entered a part of the building on Tuesday that was deemed a lower risk and they rescued several animals, which were brought to the local Humane Society. A statement from the city said: "Crews continued to search for human activity and none was detected."
Changes to food aid in debt bill would cost money, far from savings GOP envisionedA Republican attempt to expand work requirements for federal food aid in debt legislation moving through Congress would increase federal spending by $2.1 billion over 10 years -- far from the cuts GOP lawmakers had promised.
EU aspirant Moldova prepares to host major international summitEuropean leaders started gathering in Moldova Wednesday on the eve of a sprawling summit aiming to show a united front in the face of Russia's war in Ukraine and underscore support for the Eastern European country's ambitions to draw closer to the West and keep Moscow at bay.
China's commerce minister meets Tesla's Musk, promises support to foreign companiesChina's commerce minister met Tesla Ltd. CEO Elon Musk on Wednesday and promised to support the development of foreign companies, the ministry said.
China responds to U.S. complaint over plane intercept with demand for end to surveillance flightsBeijing responded Wednesday to complaints from the United States about a Chinese fighter jet's dangerous interception of an American Air Force reconnaissance aircraft in international airspace over the South China Sea by demanding an end to such flights.
Typhoon Mawar losing strength as it heads toward Japan's Okinawa IslandsTyphoon Mawar appeared to be losing force as it headed Wednesday toward Japan's Okinawa Islands, where the United States maintains a significant military presence, after largely skirting Taiwan and the Philippines.
CEOs got smaller raises. It would still take a typical worker 2 lifetimes to make their annual payThe typical compensation package for chief executives who run S&P 500 companies rose just 0.9% last year, to a median of $14.8 million, according to data analyzed for The Associated Press by Equilar. That means half the CEOs in the survey made more and half made less. It was the smallest increase since 2015.
Jury selection begins in trial of former deputy accused of failing to confront Parkland shooterJury selection began Wednesday in the trial of a former Florida sheriff's deputy charged with failing to confront the shooter who killed 14 students and three staff members at a Parkland high school five years ago.
- 5:27 PMMan gets 40 years for Aurora murder, where he thought victim was in rival gang
- 5:00 PMThe Anvil Club is closing to make way for a new restaurant in East Dundee
- 4:55 PMAntisemitic remarks shouted at St. Viator-Deerfield playoff soccer game
- 4:47 PMVeteran character actor John Beasley dies at 79
- 4:38 PMCannabis regulatory bill stalls in spring session
- 4:33 PMPritzker touts new budget's higher education spending
- 4:04 PMGail Borden Public Library to host Pop-up Book Sale over weekend
Be the first to Know!
Get the NEWS daily in your inbox.
Recommended for You
More Suburban News
- AuroraMan gets 40 years for Aurora murder, where he thought victim was in rival gang
- Downers GroveTwo bridges reopen in Hidden Lake Forest Preserve near Downers Grove
- CrimeWestmont man arrested again for DUI, fleeing police
- ElginElgin's first LGBTQ+ Pride Parade and Festival Saturday
- Oak BrookMan charged with fleeing Oak Brook police in stolen Jaguar SUV
- Round Lake BeachBlaze ravages Round Lake Beach home
- SchaumburgSchaumburg, police union reach 3-year deal after year's delay, avoiding arbitration
- PoliticsKatz Muhl to challenge Carroll for 57th District state representative
- Prep SportsSoftball: Murray, St. Charles North hold off Fremd in sectional semifinal
- Prep SportsBoys volleyball: Barrington rallies to beat Hononegah, earn trip to state
- Prep SportsSoftball: Ryan sets Buffalo Grove strikeout leader in sectional win over Libertyville
- Prep SportsGirls lacrosse: Healthy Conley helps Hinsdale Central top Hersey, return to state
- NewsAntisemitic remarks shouted at St. Viator-Deerfield playoff soccer game
- CrimePolice: Arlington Heights man sexually abused juvenile he solicited over social media
- Special ReportArlington Park's property tax bill reduced by more than half
Geneva, Wheaton North, Wheaton Warrenville South, Aurora Central Catholic and Willows academy graduation ceremonies