Published7/16/2008 12:08 AM
In a heavy saucepan, heat the butter and olive oil over medium heat.
Add the onion and saute until soft; add celery, red and green peppers, parsley and tomato, cook until soft but not brown.
Add bulghur and chicken broth.
Season with basil and salt and pepper to taste.
Bring to a boil stirring often.
Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer about 20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed or until the bulghur is tender.
Gently fold, turning the bottom to the top. Cover and let rest 10 minutes before serving.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup celery hearts, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons green pepper, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 1 medium Roma tomato finely chopped
- 2 cups coarse bulghur
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons fresh or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the "flag" link in the lower-right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.