Unattended stove causes apartment fire near Arlington Heights

Updated 11/2/2015 9:39 PM

An unattended stove caused a small kitchen fire Monday night in an unincorporated area near Arlington Heights, officials said.

Deputy Fire Chief Marc Small of the Long Grove Fire Protection District said crews were called to a three-story apartment building on the 2200 block of West Nichols Road around 5:50 p.m.


Palatine firefighters were the first on the scene and had to force entry into the apartment where the fire was isolated, Small said. Once inside, firefighters found smoke and a small fire that involved the stove and cabinets.

No one was in the apartment at the time of the fire, but people from the five other units in the building had to be evacuated, Small said.

"It was unattended cooking," he said. "They were cooking something, they forgot to turn the stove off and then they left the apartment."

Damage was estimated at $15,000. No injuries were reported.

Crews from the Palatine, Arlington Heights, Buffalo Grove and Lake Zurich Fire Departments and the Palatine Rural Fire Protection District assisted.

Article Comments
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.