Niewiardowski defeats Lietzow in Elk Grove GOP race

  • Art Niewiardowski

    Art Niewiardowski

  • Steve Caramelli

    Steve Caramelli

  • Matt Flamm

    Matt Flamm

  • Char Foss-Eggemann

    Char Foss-Eggemann

Updated 3/19/2014 4:05 PM

By Christopher Placek


An establishment Republican defeated a young GOP activist in a bitter intraparty fight for Elk Grove Township Republican committeeman.

But Art Niewiardowski, current deputy committeeman of the Elk Grove Township Republican Organization, said Tuesday night that newcomer Scott Lietzow and his supporters are still welcome in the group.

"I talked to him five minutes ago," Niewiardowski said Tuesday night. "I told him we've got to get together and make a good team. We're always open to new members with new ideas."

With all 53 precincts reporting, Niewiardowski bested Lietzow 2,525 to 2,192 votes, according to unofficial returns.

Niewiardowski, 47, a local business owner and the Elk Grove Township highway commissioner, had the backing of outgoing Committeeman Mike Sweeney and t he official endorsement of the Elk Grove GOP's precinct captains and board members.

Lietzow said the results show the organization is divided and that his campaign message was effective.

"If the Republican organization of Elk Grove Township wants me to be involved, I'll be involved, and I'd hope they'd let my supporters be involved as well," Lietzow said.

by signing up you agree to our terms of service

Lietzow, 25, deputy political director for 10th District congressional candidate Bob Dold, said during the campaign that the current Elk Grove GOP was "nothing more than a breakfast club," and said he sought to build what he called a more "open and inclusive organization."

Hanover Township

An Illinois state trooper won an easy victory in the race for Hanover Township Democratic committeeman. With all 44 precincts reporting, Steve Caramelli has tallied 69 percent of the vote, leaving Howard Krick with 31 percent of the vote, according to unofficial results.

Both Caramelli, 37, and Krick, 54, a sales consultant for a Naperville car dealership, serve on the Hanover Township board of trustees.

Caramelli argued his loyalty to Democratic causes set him apart from his opponent.

One of the Hoffman Estates man's first priorities will be reaching out to a group of active volunteers to grow the local party. Caramelli said he's developed those contacts as campaign manager for state Rep. Fred Crespo, a Hoffman Estates Democrat.


"It's going to take a lot of effort and hard work," Caramelli said. "This is just chapter one of many to come."

Maine Township

Park Ridge Public Library Trustee Char Foss-Eggemann will succeed the retiring Rosemary Mulligan as Maine Township Republican committeeman.

Foss-Eggemann defeated Maine Township Supervisor Carol Teschky for the position by a 5,009 to 2,981 vote, according to unofficial results.

Teschky, a Glenview resident, was a Maine Township trustee from 1989 to 2007, when she was appointed supervisor. She won re-election in 2009 and 2013.

Foss-Eggemann is a Park Ridge attorney who serves as corporate counsel for Lexis Nexis and holds a seat on the Park Ridge Public Library board. She said she's been working on Republican campaigns since her college days.

Palatine Township

With all 69 precincts reporting, Matt Flamm will be the next Democratic committeemen for Palatine Township. Flamm, from Palatine, got 63 percent of the vote and Justin S. Sorensen, also from Palatine, got 37 percent, according to unofficial results.

Flamm thanked Sue Walton, who is retiring after 12 years.

"She started with no organization at all and has built an organization that I'm proud to take over," Flamm said Tuesday night.

Flamm also thanked Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle for endorsing him, speaking at one of his fundraisers and recording a phone message that went out to voters Monday night.

• Daily Herald staff writers Doug T. Graham, Eric Peterson and Katlyn Smith contributed to this report.

Article Comments
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.