No injuries reported in Lake in the Hills blaze

Updated 10/18/2013 4:13 PM

No one was injured but three families were displaced following an apartment fire in the 1300 block of Cunat Road in Lake in the Hills late Thursday evening.

Firefighters from the Algonquin-Lake in the Hills Fire Protection District were called to the scene at 7:45 p.m., for a structure fire after the building fire alarm system activated.


Firefighters were told a kitchen fire ignited in apartment 2B, and upon arrival, authorities said crews encountered a two-story, multiunit apartment building being evacuated by the Lake in the Hills police department.

Fire crews found a fire in the kitchen of the apartment, but an automatic sprinkler system activated and contained the blaze, authorities said.

Fire crews ventilated the apartment to remove the remaining smoke, authorities said.

Officials said three families were displaced due to water damage from the sprinkler system activation.

The fire was caused by cooking, authorities said, and the damage is expected to be approximately $40,000. The people affected by the fire either had family to stay with or were staying in a hotel, Battalion Chief John Greene said.

Firefighters from the Algonquin-Lake in the Hills Fire Protection District were assisted by firefighters from Crystal Lake, Carpentersville and Huntley.

• Daily Herald staff writer Lenore T. Adkins contributed to this story.

Article Comments
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.