Special Report | Arlington Park's property tax bill reduced by more than half
Churchill Downs has reached an agreement with the Cook County Board of Review and several suburban school districts that reduces the 2022 property tax bill for Arlington Park by more than half.
News | Antisemitic remarks shouted at St. Viator-Deerfield playoff soccer gameAntisemitic slurs shouted during a recent girls soccer playoff game between St. Viator High School and Deerfield High have been condemned by both schools.
Transportation | Buffalo Grove Road traffic not an issue? Residents question need to add lanesAlthough Buffalo Grove Road was designed for expansion, some residents in nearby neighborhoods are questioning Lake County's plan to widen it from two to four lanes between routes 45 and 22.
Business | The Anvil Club is closing to make way for a new restaurant in East DundeeThe Anvil Club, an iconic restaurant in East Dundee, is closing July 30. A sale is pending and the new owner plans to turn the restaurant, once a members-only dining club, into a Mexican restaurant.
Music | Festivals June 2-8: Cream of Wheaton, Rose Fest, Fox River Arts Ramble and moreFrom Gilberts Community Days to Bitter Jester in Highland Park to the Lake in the Hills Skate, Bike & Roll to Concerts in the Park in Mundelein to the Naperville Kite Fly, there are a plethora of fairs and festivals to choose from this weekend. Let the fun begin!
Movies | 'Halloween' actor to attend Emagine Batavia's opening day ThursdayActor James Jude Courtney, who plays "Michael Myers" in recent releases of the "Halloween" horror franchise, will host a Q&A session at the grand opening of Emagine Batavia on Thursday.
Crime | Man sentenced to 12 years for raping woman at West Dundee partyA South suburban man has been sentenced to 12 years in prison for raping a woman who fell asleep at a West Dundee party.
Crime | Police: Arlington Heights man sexually abused juvenile he solicited over social mediaAn Arlington Heights man was ordered held on $45,000 bond Wednesday after his arrest on charges he sexually abused a juvenile he solicited over social media.
Education | Attorney general examining removal of principal of Rolling Meadows junior high schoolThe Illinois attorney general's office is examining whether the Palatine Township Elementary School District 15 school board violated the Open Meetings Act when it removed Plum Grove Junior High School Principal Kerry Wilson from her job last month.
Education | Pritzker touts new budget's higher education spendingGov. J.B. Pritzker began a tour of the state to tout the new state budget that lawmakers passed last week, stopping at two university campuses Wednesday to highlight the spending plan's increased funding for higher education.
DuPage County | Authorities: Teens from Bensenville, Glendale Heights lead police on high-speed chasesJuveniles from Bensenville and Glendale Heights have been charged with leading police on high-speed chases Monday in separate cases, authorities announced Tuesday.
Prep Sports | Girls soccer: Barrington's offensive onslaught too much for St. Charles North in supersectional; Libertyville also state boundIt's rare that two finely tuned state powers will produce a night of blockbuster goal scoring as did Barrington and St. Charles North would supply Tuesday night in a Class 3A supersectional final at Barrington Community Stadium.
Politics | House debt ceiling vote nears to avert default with Biden and McCarthy both confident of passageThe default-averting debt ceiling and budget cuts package headed toward a crucial House vote Wednesday as President Joe Biden and Speaker Kevin McCarthy assembled a coalition of centrist Democratic and Republican supporters against fierce conservative blowback and progressive dissent.
- 4:47 PMVeteran character actor John Beasley dies at 79
- 4:04 PMGail Borden Public Library to host Pop-up Book Sale over weekend
- 3:43 PMHoffman Estates hosts Unity Day: Festival of Cultures on Saturday
- 3:27 PMCEOs got smaller raises. It would still take a typical worker 2 lifetimes to make their annual pay
- 3:27 PMDeSantis plays up his personal side and swipes at Trump in campaign blitz across Iowa
Recommended for You
More Suburban News Find your community
- AuroraMan gets 40 years for Aurora murder, where he thought victim was in rival gang
- Downers GroveTwo bridges reopen in Hidden Lake Forest Preserve near Downers Grove
- CrimeWestmont man arrested again for DUI, fleeing police
- ElginElgin's first LGBTQ+ Pride Parade and Festival Saturday
- Oak BrookMan charged with fleeing Oak Brook police in stolen Jaguar SUV
- Round Lake BeachBlaze ravages Round Lake Beach home
- SchaumburgSchaumburg, police union reach 3-year deal after year's delay, avoiding arbitration
- PoliticsKatz Muhl to challenge Carroll for 57th District state representative
- Prep SportsSoftball: Murray, St. Charles North hold off Fremd in sectional semifinal
- Prep SportsBoys volleyball: Barrington rallies to beat Hononegah, earn trip to state
- Prep SportsSoftball: Ryan sets Buffalo Grove strikeout leader in sectional win over Libertyville
- Prep SportsGirls lacrosse: Healthy Conley helps Hinsdale Central top Hersey, return to state
- 5:49 PMMaple Street Chapel to host Rick Faris Bluegrass Band CD release concert June 9
- 2:21 PMSpring into Summer Family Fest welcomes native plants specialist
- 2:13 PMRace to honor the victims of Highland Park shooting
- 12:35 PMElgin's Holy Trinity Lutheran Church begins celebration of 120th anniversary
- 12:23 PMRotary Club hosts 'Drinks for Everyone!' fundraiser June 4
- 11:32 AMLeaders & Legacies: Mark & Marcie Peterson, building bridges in Alan & Milly's footsteps
- 11:26 AMHanover Township Summer Tutoring kicks off on June 5
- 10:50 AMElgin Riverside Club selects John P. Schroeder as 2023 Man of the Year
Geneva, Wheaton North, Wheaton Warrenville South, Aurora Central Catholic and Willows academy graduation ceremonies
Inside Daily Herald