News | Major fire continues to burn at former Pheasant Run in St. Charles
Fire crews continued to battle a massive fire at the former Pheasant Run Resort property in St. Charles late into Saturday night. Several buildings on the property appeared to be involved in the fire.
Columns | Gamblers' sports betting losses generate $122 million for Illinois in two yearsDespite the COVID-19 pandemic that shuttered casinos and newly minted sports wagering operations throughout Illinois in their infancy, betting on games, matches, tournaments and races has generated nearly $122 million for the state's coffers since March 2020.
News | Back down to earth: Lucy Westlake returns from top of Everest to Naperville home, graduationNaperville 18-year-old Lucy Westlake is happy to be back home -- even if it's just for a few days -- after becoming the youngest American woman to reach the summit of Mount Everest.
White Sox | 'Racist comment' ignites blowup between White Sox's Anderson, Yanks' DonaldsonDuring Saturday's White Sox-Yankees game in New York, Tim Anderson and Josh Donaldson got into it again. After the Sox's 7-5 loss, Anderson said Donaldson twice called him Jackie, in reference to Jackie Robinson. "He made a disrespectful comment," Anderson said.
Columns | Constable: Fast reaction to headache saves Lindenhurst girl's lifeNot even getting a full day to recuperate from the physical and emotional strain of seeing their baby undergo a late-night surgery, James and Lisa Peters of Lindenhurst rushed back to Advocate Children's Hospital the next day for their 3-year-old's brain tumor.
DuPage County | Truck driver charged with firing gun on I-294 near HinsdaleA Kansas City man has been charged with aggravated discharge of a firearm after a truck was apparently struck by gunfire from another truck Wednesday night on northbound Interstate 294 just north of Ogden Avenue near Hinsdale.
News | Suburban Skyview: Trained arborists trim vegetation to prevent potential power outagesIn this week's Suburban Skyview column, trained arborists trim vegetation around power lines to prevent potential outages
News | COVID-19 hospitalizations up nearly 87% from one month ago, back over 1,000COVID-19 hospitalizations are up 16.6% from last week in Illinois, with the highest number of COVID-19 patients in ICU beds since March 9.
Business | Arlington Heights awards $1.3M in tax funds to bring At Home furniture store to Rand RoadArlington Heights is awarding $1.3 million in tax increment financing district funds to bring an At Home furniture and home decor big box store to town, amid recent efforts to revitalize an aging shopping center along the Rand Road corridor.
DuPage County | Tension mounts: Clerk declines to meet county board over lost paperwork, pot revenueDuPage County Clerk Jean Kaczmarek has declined an invitation to meet with county board members Tuesday to answer their questions about how state revenue officials never received paperwork from her office authorizing a tax on recreational marijuana sales. That tax went uncollected for 18 months, costing the county up to $4 million in estimated revenue loss.
News | Baby formula shortage not because of donation to UkraineIn this week's Facts Matter columnn, Bob Oswald examines claims that the U.S. government shipped baby formula to Ukraine, COVID-19 is caused by snake venom, kids aren't allowed to read Bibles in school and more.
McHenry County | Jehovah's Witness elders who failed to report child abuse got bad advice, say attorneysIn 2006, a Crystal Lake man confessed to the leaders of his church that he was sexually abusing a 6-year-old girl. It was not that confession, however, that McHenry County Judge Mark Gerhardt considered when convicting the two church elders of violating the state's mandated reporter law.
News | New Scorched Earth owner says local breweries' appeal now includes familiesScorched Earth Brewing is ready for summer. During the pandemic, Scorched Earth Brewing nearly doubled its space for customers by installing a large outdoor patio, and new owner Greg Doyen said the Algonquin-based taproom plans to put it to good use as the summer weather hits McHenry County.
- 10:16 PMCalifornia church leaders, shooting survivors join in prayer
- 9:53 PMImages: IHSA class 2A and 3A girls track state finals
- 8:41 PMImages: Round Lake, Fenton, Hampshire, Jacobs and Dundee-Crown graduation ceremonies
- 8:27 PM1 killed, 8 wounded in shooting at Southern California party
- 5:51 PM2 dead; northern Michigan town cleans up from rare tornado
More Suburban News Find your community
- AddisonAddison Trail student charged with threatening school
- Des PlainesDes Plaines city manager gets 3% pay raise
- NapervilleNaperville Central students urge school board to shift to electric buses
- South BarringtonSouth Barrington man held on $250K bail in child porn case
- BartlettDriver cited after rollover crash in Bartlett damages utilty pole, starts fire
- GurneeWarren District 121 community rallies for newest property tax increase request
- Des PlainesMotorist arrested after Des Plaines traffic stop yields bag of pot
- Prep SportsGirls soccer: Fremd edges Warren on PKs for regional crown
- Prep SportsGirls track and field: St. Viator's Scales stars at state prelims
- Prep SportsBaseball: Mac's walk-off hit gives Buffalo Grove MSL title over Barrington
- Prep SportsGirls soccer: Freshmen lead WW South to regional title over Geneva
- Prep SportsGirls soccer: St. Charles North survives scare from Bartlett
- 10:32 PMVolunteer to help an adult communicate in English
- 1:25 PMSeniors can celebrate health and fitness day in Arlington Heights
- 12:28 PMLake County Bar Association offers free virtual legal clinic
- 12:23 PMSign up for Lombard's Flat Apple Fitness this summer
- 11:54 AMHines VA to hold women veteran virtual town hall May 24
- 11:30 AMElgin's Gifford Park Association gives $5,000 donation for Firefighters Memorial Plaza
- 11:05 AMCitadel Theatre Education Program is Sure to Inspire
- 11:05 AMQuick, easy, convenient classes this summer at CLC
Hersey, Buffalo Grove, Rolling Meadows, Elk Grove, Prospect, Wheeling and West Chicago graduation ceremonies
Inside Daily Herald