Graduates in Class of 2022: 480
Graduation ceremony: Saturday, May 28, Now Arena
Valedictorian: Ella Nail
Salutatorian: Lilah Hanson
Graduation Speaker: Malaya Anthony
Class Officers: President -- Leyla Velazquez; Vice President -- Tyjaya Lindsey; Secretary -- Jamylin Deleon; Treasurer -- Joshua Givens-James.
• Lit Fest -- Poetry, Aly Grommes and Jennifer Villagran, honorable mention; Dramatic Scene, Kate Warkel, 1st Place, Aly Grommes, honorable mention; Short Story, Karina Zamudio and Kayla Scham, honorable mention; Descriptive Sketch, Kayla Scham, honorable mention; Personal Essay, Fernando Perez, honorable mention; Slam Poetry, Keith Stuckey, 1st Place.
• Music -- Senior violinist Ariana Mattos-Cruz made the ILMEA All-State Orchestra for the second year in a row; Senior trumpet player Jackson Baker qualified for All-State Band; Senior violinist Ariana Mattos Cruz qualified for the All-State Orchestra.
• Speech Team -- State Qualifiers; Seniors Arianna Munoz and Mikayla Ortiz place 14th in the State in Dramatic Duet Acting; Senior Maddie Hopp placed 11th in the State in Informative Speaking
• Art -- Andrea Rojas received an honorable mention in Digital Illustration in Upstate 8 2022; Judith Diaz received honorable mention in Painting in Upstate 8 2022, honorable mention in Drawing in the 2021-22 Chicagoland 4x5 art show. and first place in painting in the 2022 Visions Art Show; Kayla Griffin received 3rd place in drawing in the 2022 Upstate 8 art show; Anabella Duarte received an Honorable mention in Drawing in the 20222 Chicagoland 4x5 art show.
• Boys & Girls Club -- Laron Matthews was chosen to perform at the National Boys & Girls club Convention in Chicago in May. He also sang the national anthem at the ballroom at the Hyatt Regency.
• Girls Wrestling -- First year of IHSA Girls Wrestling State Tournament, Giselle Ayala made history; finished 4th and earned all state in her weight class.
• Boys Basketball -- Best Single-season record in school history (31-4); Undefeated Conference Champions (18-0); Hinkle Holiday Tournament Champions (defeated Barrington in Championship); IHSA Regional Champs; IHSA Sectional Champs; IHSA Elite 8; Four unanimous All-Conference players; Damari Wheeler-Thomas, Upstate 8 Conference Player of the Year.
• Football -- Won back the Thunder Bucket and The Town Jug; Beat Bartlett for first time in 15 years; Best record and qualified for state playoffs for first time in 15 years; Six All Conference players; Dontrelle Maxie was All-Area and selected to play in The Shrine Game.
• The LHS Fine Arts Department produced "Almost, Maine" by John Cariani last fall and "Heathers: The Musical" this spring. Both productions included students from all four academies at Larkin High School, particularly the Drama Academy. "Almost Maine" was a delightful romantic comedy that followed several couples falling in and out of love on a magical chilly night in Maine. "Heathers The Musical" told the story of a brainy, beautiful misfit who gets mixed up with the most popular clique in school: The Heathers.
• Larkin VPAA dancers participated in the 21st annual Bring a Book to Life production entitled "A New Day!" Seniors Sarah Leardi, Farrell Kuhn, Selena Velasquez, Emily Kodie, Joanna Hernandez, Arly Vilchiz and Argie Gonzalez all had leading roles for the production. These seniors have created their own production to be performed on May 20 at Larkin HS Auditorium.
• Larkin dancers received a grant for their production from the U-46 Educational Foundation this year. Much gratitude to Dawn Curran for all her support. Our dance studio received much needed new equipment from the district this year. We have new dance barres, shelving for organizing our room and costume closets, also fitness equipment that we use for conditioning in our technique classes. We are able to share this equipment with PE as well.
Senior Class gift: 10 High-top Tables
What was new in 2021-22:
• Little Royals Preschool welcomed their first students in their remodeled classroom and lab this year. 22 preschool students were taught by over 80 high school students in our Childhood Education Classes.
• Coached by teacher Frank Rose and captained by senior Tony Vyleta, Larkin High School started the first improv team ever in School District U-46. The team of 12 students attended a workshop by professional Elgin-based team Green Room improv to learn the basics, spent a few weeks honing their skills, and then went on to play several sold out shows throughout the school year. The team focuses on short form game-based improv and even performed for the community at a fundraiser event for performing arts company Fun Funky Fab Arts & Entertainment.