Nicor Gas gives grants to 24 nonprofits for basic needs and energy assistance
Nicor Gas is announcing $100,000 in grants to support the basic needs of our customers including food, clothing and shelter through community organizations across its service territory.
"At Nicor Gas, we have a goal to support the basic needs of 250,000 families across our communities through agencies that address food, housing and clothing insecurity," said Jackie Nagel, manager of Community Engagement at Nicor Gas. "Nearly 11% of residents in the state of Illinois currently live in poverty. Providing for the most critical needs of our customers ensures our neighbors are able to not just survive but thrive."
This year, Nicor Gas is proud to award 24 organizations with grants to support their basic needs programming:
• Faithful Meals in Motion provides boxed meals for school-age children during extended school breaks and weekends.
• Neighborhood Housing Services provides a package of 10 freshly prepared meals to 50 senior households per week, for 24 weeks of the year.
• Oak Park River Forest Food Pantry offers a drive-through pantry, a traditional in person community market, pop-up food pantries and a home grocery delivery program.
• PADS to Hope offers emergency shelter, supportive services, case management and medical care for the north and northwest suburbs of Metro Chicago.
• South Suburban PADS offers emergency shelter, food and case management for families in the south suburbs of Metro Chicago.
• WINGS Program Inc. provides critical emergency housing for domestic violence victims.
• Family Services of DeKalb supports low-income individuals, connecting them to resources for food, shelter, clothing and disaster relief.
• CASA DuPage offers a trained special advocate that ensures children in high-risk trauma situations are placed in safe homes and receive supportive services.
• DuPage Senior Citizen's Council provides meal delivery to homebound older adults.
• Loaves & Fishes Community Services offers food distribution for children and seniors in DuPage County.
• People's Resource Center's food pantry serves as an entry point for services including hygiene products, clothing, financial assistance and education.
Fox Valley area
• Aurora Area Interfaith Food Pantry supports mobile pantries throughout Fox Valley, including food, diapers, hygiene, baby formula and other basic need items.
• Big Hearts Fox Valley provides clothing, shoes, warm coats, gloves and hygiene products to families in need.
• Hesed House offers overnight emergency shelter, including meals, bathing facilities and laundry facilities.
• Mutual Ground Inc. offers emergency shelter, emergency room response and a 24-hour crisis line for victims of domestic violence.
• Grundy Area PADS offers emergency shelter and case management for families in Grundy County, to ensure clients are working toward obtaining stable housing and independence.
• Food for Greater Elgin delivers food to vulnerable immigrant populations in Elgin at schools, apartment complexes and churches.
• PADS of Elgin offers emergency shelter, showering and laundry facilities, meals and clothing to those experiencing homelessness in and around Elgin.
• Community Action Partnership provides at least one hot meal per weekday that includes healthy choices to individuals in homeless shelters and low-income seniors throughout Lake County.
• Home of the Sparrow offers transitional shelter in a dorm-style environment for individuals and families throughout northern Illinois, including case management to work toward housing independence.
• Refuge for Women Chicago offers long-term and transitional housing for women over 18, in the Chicago area and beyond, who have escaped human trafficking.
• Home Sweet Home Ministries provides daily meals to homeless shelter residents and low-income community members across several counties in central Illinois.
• Rock River Valley Pantry provides dairy items to those experiencing food insecurity in the Rockford area.
• Shelter Care Ministries offers emergency housing, transitional housing and permanent supportive housing to those experiencing homelessness in and around Rockford.
To learn more about Nicor Gas' commitment to basic needs and energy assistance initiatives, visit www.NicorGas.com/CharitableGiving.