Local students named Evans Scholars for caddying
Sixty-five Chicago-area students have been awarded the Evans Scholarship, a full housing and tuition college grant offered to golf caddies. They are among the first group of recipients awarded following selection interviews that will continue across the country through the spring.
Each caddie has a unique story that reflects the scholarship's four selection criteria: A strong caddie record, excellent academics, demonstrated financial need and outstanding character.
They will begin college in the fall of 2022 as Evans Scholars, with awarded universities to be finalized April 1. The Evans Scholarship is valued at more than $120,000 over four years.
"These young men and women are part of an exceptional incoming class of New Scholar caddies from around the nation," said WGA Chairman Joe Desch. "They represent what the Evans Scholars Program has been about since 1930."
The Evans Scholars selection interviews will continue to be held with applicants nationwide through the spring. When the 2021-22 selection meeting process is complete, an estimated 315 caddies are expected to be awarded the Evans Scholarship.
The Western Golf Association, headquartered in Glenview, has supported the Chick Evans Scholarship Program through the Evans Scholars Foundation since 1930. Known as one of golf's favorite charities, it is the nation's largest scholarship program for caddies.
Currently, a record 1,070 caddies are enrolled at 21 universities across the nation as Evans Scholars, and more than 11,500 caddies have graduated as Evans Scholars since the program was founded by famed Chicago amateur golfer Charles "Chick" Evans Jr.
"These young students have each shown excellence in the classroom, in their communities and on the golf course," said WGA President and CEO John Kaczkowski. "We are proud to welcome them to the Evans Scholars family."
The following is a list of some of the local scholarship winners and their affiliated golf clubs:
• Briarwood Country Club in Deerfield: Myron Neal, Chicago, Roycemore School; and Shania Partee, Chicago, King College Prep;
• Conway Farms Golf Club in Lake Forest: Carlos Chaires, Mundelein, Vernon Hills High School;
• Crystal Lake Country Club in Crystal Lake: Evan Neuhart, Woodstock, Woodstock High School;
• Chicago Golf Club in Wheaton: Luke Buhmann, Warrenville, Wheaton Warrenville South High School;
• Evanston Golf Club in Evanston: Esveyda Uriostegui, Hampshire, Hampshire High School;
• Exmoor Country Club in Highland Park: Mac Nanberg, Highwood, Highland Park High School;
• Glen View Club in Golf: Krish Patel, Des Plaines, Maine East High School;
• Indian Hill Country Club in Winnetka: Alex Flores, Chicago, Loyola Academy; and Laura Flores, Park City, Warren Township High School;
• Ivanhoe Club in Mundelein: Melanie Garcia, Park City, Warren Township High School;
• Knollwood Club in Lake Forest: Lydia Asare, Chicago, Woodlands Academy;
• Lake Shore Country Club in Glencoe: Emmanuel Cardenas-Wence, Waukegan, Cristo Rey St. Martin College Prep; and Melanie Ovalle, Chicago, Regina Dominican High School;
• Medinah Country Club in Medinah: Michael Colella, Medinah, Lake Park High School; Jenna Kuhny, Naperville, Naperville North High School; and Trey McCallister, Roselle, Lake Park High School;
• North Shore Country Club in Glenview: Desmond, Jones, Chicago, De La Salle Institute;
• Northmoor Country Club in Highland Park: Luis Martinez, Gurnee, Warren Township High School;
• Onwentsia Club in Lake Forest: Janissa Gutierrez, Waukegan, Cristo Rey St. Martin College Prep; and Melanie Tapia, Chicago, Concord Academy;
• Park Ridge Country Club in Park Ridge: Eden Ortiz, Chicago, John Hancock College Prep; Grayson Poindexter, Park Ridge, Maine Township South High School; and Ewa Trochimowicz, Des Plaines, Willows Academy;
• Ravinia Green Country Club in Riverwoods: Michael Strozak, Prospect Heights, St. Viator High School;
• River Forest Country Club in Elmhurst: Samantha Corte, Melrose Park, West Leyden High School;
• Rolling Green Country Club in Arlington Heights: Luka Tesla, Mount Prospect, John Hersey High School; and Christian Tsevis, Mount Prospect, John Hersey High School;
• St. Charles Country Club in St. Charles: Allison Edgar, West Chicago, St. Charles East High School;
• Sunset Ridge Country Club in Northfield: Brian Soto, Chicago, Marist High School; and Luis Soto, Chicago, Latin School of Chicago;
• Westmoreland Country Club in Wilmette: Hana Dedic, Skokie, Niles North High School.
Scholarship funds come mostly from contributions by nearly 35,000 supporters across the country, who are members of the Evans Scholars Par Club program. Evans Scholars alumni donate more than $17 million annually, and all proceeds from the BMW Championship, the penultimate PGA Tour Playoff event in the PGA Tour's FedExCup competition, are donated to the Evans Scholars Foundation.
In 2022, the BMW Championship will be held at Wilmington Country Club in Wilmington, Delaware, Aug. 16-21.
To learn more about the WGA and ESF, visit www.wgaesf.org.