DuPage County Health Department reminds residents to 'Pool Safely This Summer'
Memorial Day weekend is here. Normally, this is the time of year when community and municipal pools open, however, COVID-19 restrictions are still in place which means a later than usual opening.
It's likely that many people will be enjoying private pools, and the DuPage County Health Department wants residents to "Pool Safely This Summer."
"With so many people working from home right now, it's important to be focused on those enjoying the water, especially children," said Karen Ayala, Executive Director, DuPage County Health Department.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) highlights the need to continue to fight drowning, which remains the leading cause of accidental death among children ages 1-4 The DuPage County Health Department is a CPSC Pool Safely campaign partner with the goal of reducing child drownings and entrapments in pools and spas.
In 2019, five Illinois children younger than age 15 died due to accidental drowning.
"As more families make the decision to purchase a pool for their personal use, due to COVID-19 concerns, this information is even more important," Ayala said.
To keep children safe around the water, follow these Pool Safely tips:
• Install a four-sided fence with a self-closing, self-latching gate around all pools and spas.
• Designate a Water Watcher to supervise children at all times around the water. This person should not be distracted by smartphones, reading materials or conversation.
• Learn how to swim and teach your child to swim.
• Learn how to perform CPR on children and adults.
• Avoid entrapment by teaching children to stay away from pool drains and pipes. Keep long hair, bathing suit straps and draw strings away from drains.
• Ensure that any pool or spa/hot tub that you use has drain covers that meet federal safety standards. If you're not sure, ask your pool service provider for details.
Before swimming, take the Pool Safely Pledge online with friends and family. Together, we can promote safety in and around the water in DuPage County.
To learn more about DCHD's Pool Safely Northern Illinois Program, call (630) 221-7198.