7 ways to celebrate the holidays at DuPage forest preserves
Visitors can catch the holiday spirit by joining the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County at a number of holiday events and programs.
Here's a look at what's happening ...
• Thanksgiving Gratitude Walk, 1:30 to 3 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 16, at Mayslake Peabody Estate, 1717 W. 31st St., Oak Brook. Prepare for Thanksgiving in a new way and contemplate what you're grateful for on a leisurely guided walk. Jot down your reflections and, if the mood strikes, share them with the group. Ages 18 and older; $5 per person. Register at the walk, online or at (630) 206-9566.
Trim the tree
• Make a Snake Ornament Drop-In Family Activity, 1:30 to 3 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 8, at Willowbrook Wildlife Center, 525 S. Park Blvd., Glen Ellyn. Craft a colorful ornament and then meet DuPage snakes as you learn about their fascinating lives. All ages; younger than 18 with an adult. Free. No registration. For details, call (630) 942-6200.
• Farmhouse Museum Tours: Christmas Memories, on the hour, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Thursdays through Mondays, Dec. 1 through Jan. 6, at Kline Creek Farm, 1N600 County Farm Road, West Chicago. Discover Victorian holiday traditions and explore the lifestyle of a successful farm family as you tour the farmhouse museum. Learn how the home was a place for work as well as relaxation and how it served as the building block of the rural community. Free; registration not required. For details, call (630) 876-5900.
• Music at Mayslake: Acappellago, 7:30 to 9 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 7, at Mayslake Peabody Estate. The a cappella chamber choir performs "Escape to ... A Winter Wonderland." Ages 12 and older; younger than 18 with an adult. $15-$17. Tickets at acappellago.org or (708) 484-3797.
On the farm
• Christmas on the Farm, 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Dec. 7 & 8, at Kline Creek Farm. Discover the history of popular traditions, take a photo with Santa in his sleigh, sing carols around the warming fire, and enjoy cookies and hot apple cider. All ages. Free admission. No registration. For details, call (630) 876-5900.
Jazz it up
• Music at Mayslake: WDCB Jazz Salon, 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 12, at Mayslake Peabody Estate. Holiday concert featuring two of Chicago's most soulful jazz musicians -- Typhanie Monique and Neal Alger. All ticket proceeds go to the restoration of historic Mayslake Hall. Ages 12 and older; younger than 18 with an adult. $15 per person. Register online or at (630) 206-9566.
• Holiday Art and Craft Market, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Dec. 14 and 15, Mayslake Peabody Estate. Shop for quality artisan holiday gifts for family and friends. All ages; younger than 18 with an adult. Free admission. No registration. For details, call (630) 206-9566.