CLC Music Department announces fall 2018 concerts
This fall, College of Lake County musicians will present concerts featuring music that appeals to a variety of tastes.
From soothing, classical instrumental works to modern choral works and gospel songs, each concert is programmed to include crowd pleasers that also challenge the ensembles' students and community members.
"CLC's 10 ensembles are loaded with talent, and I encourage all local music lovers to take advantage of the opportunity to hear excellent live music, performed in a beautiful theater for a very low price," said Dr. Michael Flack, chair of the music department. "You won't be disappointed."
• Fall Wind Ensemble Concert at 4 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 14. Enjoy a concert featuring the following pieces: "Suite from Mass" by Leonard Bernstein, "Fantasy in French" by Julie Giroux, "Handel in the Strand" by Percy Grainger, "Elixir" by Michael Markowski, "American Civil War Fantasy" by Jerry H. Bilik and "The Pride of the Wolverines" by John Philip Sousa. The 50-member Wind Ensemble, an auditioned group composed of students and community members, is conducted by Dr. Michael Flack.
• Fall Choral Concert at 4 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 27. The CLC Singers, Choir of Lake County and Chamber Singers are directed by Ingrid Mikolajczyk. The Gospel Choir's director is Matthew Hunter, a music education graduate of Michigan State University and prior director of choirs at Niles West High School, Skokie.
• 42nd Annual Guest Artist Concert with John Fedchock, 4 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 18. Fedchock is a New York-based trombone virtuoso, composer, leader of the New York Big Band and a two-time Grammy nominee. He has toured with T.S. Monk, the Gerry Mulligan Concert Jazz Band, Louie Bellson Big Band, Bob Belden Ensemble, Manhattan Jazz Orchestra, Jon Faddis Jazz Orchestra and the Carnegie Hall Jazz Band. Fedchock will demonstrate his jazz trombone talents with the Monday Night Jazz Ensemble. The Tuesday Night Jazz Ensemble will also perform. From 12-1:30 p.m. Nov. 17, Fedchock will conduct a free clinic and master class for CLC students and the community in Room P101. The Guest Artist Series has brought nationally known and award-winning performers and conductors to perform with college musicians and offer clinics and workshops. To learn more, visit www.clcillinois.edu/guestartists.
• Holiday Choral Concert, at 4 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 8. More than 100 singers from four choirs will present a beautiful concert of holiday songs, ranging from classic to contemporary.
• Wind Ensemble Holiday Concert at 4 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 9. The 50-member Wind Ensemble, an auditioned group composed of CLC students and community members, will perform challenging and beautiful music from both classical and contemporary composers, plus several holiday favorites.
• Jazz Combos Winter Concert at 7:30 p.m. Monday, Dec. 10. CLC's jazz combos consist of community members and students. They play music in a variety of jazz styles, including swing, Latin, ballad and fusion.
• Concert Band Holiday Concert at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 12. Directed by John Mose, the Concert Band will perform a wide range of band music from classic marches and symphonic pieces to Broadway medleys and film scores, including several festive holiday tunes.
A fall concert date for the CLC Jazz Combos will be announced in November. For updates, check the College of Lake County Music department's Facebook page.
Spring Semester 2019 Music department concerts
• Jazz Ensembles: 4 p.m. March 3 and 7:30 p.m. May 3.
• Wind Ensemble: 4 p.m. March 10 and 4 p.m. May 5.
• Gospel Choir: 4 p.m. April 6.
• Spring Choral Concert: 4 p.m. May 11.
• Concert Band: 7:30 p.m. May 15.
A May concert date for the CLC Jazz Combos will be announced in April.
Concerts are held in the Mainstage Theatre of the James Lumber Center for the Performing Arts on the CLC Grayslake Campus. Ticket prices range from $6 to $10, with a $1 discount for CLC students/staff and seniors. Instrumental music concerts are free to students younger than 18.
Due to the quiet nature of many songs, choral concerts are not appropriate for children younger than 3. For tickets and information, call the box office at (847) 543-2300 or visit www.clcillinois.edu/tickets. The box office is open from noon to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday and 60 minutes before each performance.