DuPage Airport Authority celebrates new school year
As another school year takes flight, the DuPage Airport Authority and the City of West Chicago are inviting local students and their families to the airport for an educational and fun-filled day revolving around aviation.
The second annual Back-to-School Celebration, along with WGN TV and WGN Radio, will take place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 28, at the DuPage Airport, 2700 International Drive in West Chicago.
Students will have the opportunity to:
• Interact with airport management, pilots and planners;
• Sit inside cockpits and explore classic and military aircrafts;
• Visit WGN's Skycam 9 Helicopter;
• Operate flight simulators;
• Learn about airport fire and rescue protocols;
• Climb onto airport maintenance and snow removal equipment;
• Experience a fire safety simulator;
• Examine interactive law enforcement displays;
• Tour a mobile command center;
• Navigate an inflatable obstacle course and scale a climbing wall.
Attendees also will get to meet first responders from the DuPage County Sheriff's Office, West Chicago Police Department and the West Chicago Fire Protection District, members of the Boy Scouts Three Fires Council, Civil Air Patrol, as well as West Chicago Mayor Ruben Pineda.
Food and refreshments will be provided.
Admission to the event is free, but anyone interested is asked to register at www.dabacktoschool.eventbrite.com.