Chinese balloon soars across US; Blinken scraps Beijing trip
A huge, high-altitude Chinese balloon sailed across the U.S. on Friday, drawing severe Pentagon accusations of spying despite China's firm denials. Secretary of State Antony Blinken abruptly canceled a high-stakes Beijing trip aimed at easing U..S.-China tensions.
Sorry, not sorry: Some 1/6 rioters change tune after apologySome Jan. 6 defendants who have expressed remorse in court after joining the pro-Trump mob that stormed the Capitol have later struck a different tone or sought to downplay the riot publicly.
A surprising burst of U.S. hiring in January: 517,000 jobsAmerica's employers added a robust 517,000 jobs in January, a surprisingly strong gain in the face of the Federal Reserve's aggressive drive to slow growth and tame inflation with higher interest rates.
Licenses suspended for 2 fired EMTs in Tyre Nichols deathA Tennessee board on Friday suspended the emergency medical technician licenses of two former Memphis Fire Department employees for failing to render critical care to Tyre Nichols after he took a beating from police that ultimately killed him.
Austin mayor apologizes as city struggles to restore powerWidespread power outages in the Texas capital stretched into a third day Friday for thousands of residents following a winter storm that was spiraling into a management crisis as city leaders remained unable to say when all the lights would come back on.
NATO urges Russia to respect nuclear pact with the U.S.NATO called Friday on Russia to respect the only treaty it has with the United States aimed at keeping a lid on nuclear weapons expansion and urged Moscow to allow on-the-ground inspections of military sites to resume.
Indian tycoon Adani hit by more losses, calls for probeShares in troubled Adani Enterprises gyrated Friday, tumbling 30% and then rebounding after more than a week of heavy losses that have cost it tens of billions of dollars in market value.
Trump campaign staff on 2020 election lies: 'fan the flame'A newly released audio recording offers a behind-the-scenes look at how former President Donald Trump's campaign team in a pivotal battleground state knew they had been outflanked by Democrats in the 2020 presidential election. But even as they acknowledged defeat, they pivoted to allegations of widespread fraud that were ultimately debunked -- repeatedly -- by elections officials and the courts.
Ukraine may also get old Leopard 1 tanks from German stocksUkraine may be able to add old Leopard 1 battle tanks from German defense industry stocks to deliveries of modern tanks that Berlin and other governments pledged last week to counter Russian forces in the war.
Companies pledge millions in fed effort to stem road deathsNearly 50 businesses and nonprofits -- including rideshare companies Uber and Lyft, industrial giant 3M and automaker Honda -- are pledging millions of dollars in initiatives to stem a crisis in road fatalities under a new federal effort announced Friday.
Along Ukraine-Belarus border, a war of nerves -- and dronesReconnaissance drones fly several times a day from Ukrainian positions across the border into Belarus, a close Russian ally, scouring for signs of trouble on the other side. Ukrainian units are monitoring the 650-mile frontier of marsh and woodland for a possible surprise offensive from the north, a repeat of the unsuccessful Russian thrust towards Kyiv at the start of the war nearly a year ago.
Biden touts economy, infrastructure; may offer 2024 previewPresident Joe Biden hasn't announced a reelection campaign, but some of the themes likely to be the centerpiece of that expected run should be on display Friday night when he addresses a national Democratic Party meeting.
- 8:02 PMIllinois COVID-19 hospitalizations at lowest point in four months
- 7:42 PMNancy Joanne Czarnik, longtime Elk Grove Village trustee, lived life with gusto
- 7:40 PMHow much did your congressional representative get from special interests?
- 7:32 PM$5M grant aimed at reversing 'crisis on our roadways'
- 6:26 PMSecond man sentenced to 50 years in prison for West Chicago slaying
- 6:13 PMA united lobbying front: District 214 hopes to partner with 211, 15 over potential tax breaks
- 5:47 PMSouth Elgin man sentenced in DUI crash that injured two
More Suburban News
- LakemoorApproval sought in Lakemoor for village's first marijuana dispensary
- CrimeElmhurst man pleads guilty to having child pornography
- GenevaGeneva aldermen expected to approve $128.3M city budget
- Prospect HeightsProspect Heights Ward 1 candidates forum set for Feb. 15
- ElginNo injuries in Elgin car wash fire
- South ElginSouth Elgin man sentenced in DUI crash that injured two
- Sugar GroveSugar Grove library to hold informational meetings about ballot question
- GenevaMexican eatery Hacienda Real to open in Geneva Sunday
- Hoffman EstatesArchdiocese announces mergers of Schaumburg, Hoffman Estates parishes
- BarringtonBarrington-area economic summit set for Wednesday
- Cook CountyCook County to allocate $16 million to support local climate plans
- EducationCary-Grove Principal Lesinski named new Dist. 155 superintendent
- Elk Grove VillageNancy Joanne Czarnik, longtime Elk Grove Village trustee, lived life with gusto
- PoliticsHow much did your congressional representative get from special interests?
- AuroraSecond man sentenced to 50 years in prison for West Chicago slaying