'Get out of the house! There's a fire!' Neighbors tell how they rescued 4 people in Elk Grove

 
 
Updated 10/10/2018 10:47 PM
hello
  • Elk Grove Village firefighters on Wednesday night work on the scene after a fire heavily damaged a house on Crest Avenue near Ridge Avenue and Landmeier Road.

      Elk Grove Village firefighters on Wednesday night work on the scene after a fire heavily damaged a house on Crest Avenue near Ridge Avenue and Landmeier Road. Patrick Kunzer | Staff Photographer

  • Jeanine McEnroe caught on video the start of a fire at a house across the street from her on Crest Street in Elk Grove Village Wednesday evening.

    Jeanine McEnroe caught on video the start of a fire at a house across the street from her on Crest Street in Elk Grove Village Wednesday evening. Courtesy of Jeanine McEnroe

  • Neighbors watch as a house on the 500 block of Crest Avenue in Elk Grove Village burns Wednesday evening.

    Neighbors watch as a house on the 500 block of Crest Avenue in Elk Grove Village burns Wednesday evening. Courtesy of Jeanine McEnroe

  • Brett Tanner describes how he and neighbor Jim McEnroe helped rescue the people inside a burning home on Crest Avenue Wednesday night. Elk Grove Village firefighters responded to the house fire near Ridge Avenue and Landmeier Road.

      Brett Tanner describes how he and neighbor Jim McEnroe helped rescue the people inside a burning home on Crest Avenue Wednesday night. Elk Grove Village firefighters responded to the house fire near Ridge Avenue and Landmeier Road. Patrick Kunzer | Staff Photographer

  • Jim McEnroe describes how he and neighbor Brett Tanner helped rescue the people inside a burning home on Crest Avenue Wednesday night. Elk Grove Village firefighters responded to the house fire near Ridge Avenue and Landmeier Road.

      Jim McEnroe describes how he and neighbor Brett Tanner helped rescue the people inside a burning home on Crest Avenue Wednesday night. Elk Grove Village firefighters responded to the house fire near Ridge Avenue and Landmeier Road. Patrick Kunzer | Staff Photographer

  • Firefighters continue to work on putting out a blaze in a house Wednesday on the 500 block of Crest Avenue in Elk Grove Village.

      Firefighters continue to work on putting out a blaze in a house Wednesday on the 500 block of Crest Avenue in Elk Grove Village. Patrick Kunzer | Staff Photographer

  • Elk Grove Village firefighters on Wednesday night work in the aftermath of a fire at a home on Crest Avenue.

      Elk Grove Village firefighters on Wednesday night work in the aftermath of a fire at a home on Crest Avenue. Patrick Kunzer | Staff Photographer

  • Elk Grove Village firefighters on Wednesday night finish putting out a house fire on Crest Avenue near Ridge Avenue and Landmeier Road.

      Elk Grove Village firefighters on Wednesday night finish putting out a house fire on Crest Avenue near Ridge Avenue and Landmeier Road. Patrick Kunzer | Staff Photographer

  • Neighbor Jeanine McEnroe said that as a house across the street caught fire, her husband, Jim, and another neighbor ran into the front door to look for people inside.

    Neighbor Jeanine McEnroe said that as a house across the street caught fire, her husband, Jim, and another neighbor ran into the front door to look for people inside. Courtesy of Jeanine McEnroe

  • Jeanine and Jim McEnroe describe how he and neighbor Brett Tanner teamed up to rescue the people inside a burning home on Crest Avenue Wednesday night.

      Jeanine and Jim McEnroe describe how he and neighbor Brett Tanner teamed up to rescue the people inside a burning home on Crest Avenue Wednesday night. Patrick Kunzer | Staff Photographer

Neighbors say they rescued four people from a house fire Wednesday evening in Elk Grove Village, including an elderly man who lives at the home.

The blaze began shortly after 5 p.m. at a house on the 500 block of Crest Avenue, near the intersection of Ridge Avenue and Landmeier Road. The village said in a Facebook post about 9 p.m. the fire had been extinguished.

The cause of the fire remained under investigation Wednesday, and three people were taken to the hospital for observation, according to the village. There were no life-threatening injuries, officials said.

Neighbors said they saw flames first bursting out of a garage attached to the home. The fire appeared to cause vehicle tires to explode outside, they said.

Brett Tanner said he was mowing the lawn a block down the street when he saw the flames and went to help.

"I tried to get over to the house in time to see if I could find a hose where I could contain it myself," Tanner said. "But it was a fast-moving fire, so then I had to just barge in the house and told everybody to get out."

Jeanine McEnroe, who live across the street, said she came home and noticed "a strange smell" after she began opening windows. She began walking around her house to try to find the source, and then she heard an explosion, she said.

She noticed her neighbor, Tanner, running toward the house, and her husband, Jim, soon noticed the fire himself.

"Jim walked toward the window and was like, Holy cow!'" Jeanine said. He ran toward the home while Jeanine called 911.

"Jim and Brett ran through the front door and started yelling," she said. "They just took off and ran in."

"We were yelling, 'Get out of the house! There's a fire! Get out of the house! There's a fire!'" Jim McEnroe said.

After they got inside, they noticed a man lying on a bed and worked to get him in his wheelchair, Jim McEnroe said. The man's son came down and asked, "What's going on?" They told him about the fire in the garage.

The man's nurse and a teenage girl appeared, and Tanner and McEnroe helped get them out of the house, too. When they all attempted to exit through a side door, smoke from the fire billowed into the home, McEnroe said.

"Our only way out was through the front door," he said. Everyone escaped.

A picture and video made by Jeanine McEnroe showed flames starting in or around the vehicle in the driveway in front of the garage and spreading to the attached house's top floor, with smoke all around. The house and garage were extensively damaged.

"The flames and the amount of smoke was unbelievable," she said.

Article Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.