Memphis authorities release video showing violent arrest leading to Tyre Nichols' death
Authorities released video footage Friday showing Tyre Nichols being beaten by five Memphis police officers who held the Black motorist down and repeatedly struck him with their fists, boots and batons as he screamed for his mother.
Auschwitz anniversary marked as peace again shattered by warAuschwitz-Birkenau survivors and other mourners commemorated the 78th anniversary Friday of the Nazi German death camp's liberation, some expressing horror that war has again shattered peace in Europe and the lesson of Never Again is being forgotten.
Biden picks Zients as his next White House chief of staffPresident Joe Biden announced Jeff Zients as his next White House chief of staff on Friday, tapping an experienced technocrat who headed his administration's response to the COVID-19 pandemic as Biden prepares for a reelection bid while facing an onslaught of investigations from a newly empowered House Republican majority.
Video shows struggle for hammer during Pelosi attackVideo released publicly Friday shows the husband of former U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi fighting with his assailant for control of a hammer moments before he was struck during a brutal attack in the couple's San Francisco home last year.
Palestinian gunman kills 6 near Jerusalem synagogueA Palestinian gunman opened fire outside an east Jerusalem synagogue Friday night, killing seven people, including a 70-year-old woman, and wounding three others before police shot and killed him, officials said. It was the deadliest attack on Israelis in years and raised the likelihood of further bloodshed.
Fatal shooting at Azerbaijan Embassy in Iran raises tensionsA gunman stormed the Azerbaijan Embassy in Iran's capital Friday, killing its security chief and wounding two guards in an attack that spiked long-simmering tensions between the two neighboring countries.
Russian coronavirus-denying ex-monk sentenced to 7 yearsA former Russian Orthodox monk, who denied that the coronavirus existed and defied the Kremlin, was handed a seven-year prison sentence Friday.
UK Treasury chief: Tax cuts must wait for inflation to fallBritain's Treasury chief said Friday that taming inflation is more important than cutting taxes, resisting calls from some in the governing Conservative Party for immediate tax breaks for businesses and voters.
Watchdog blames Syria's air force for deadly chlorine attackThe global chemical weapons watchdog said Friday that its investigators found "reasonable grounds to believe" Syria's air force dropped two cylinders containing chlorine gas on the city of Douma in April 2018, killing 43 people.
Oklahoma investigators identify body as missing 4-year-oldThe body of a child found in Oklahoma earlier this month was positively identified as 4-year-old Athena Brownfield, who investigators said was beaten to death by a caregiver on Christmas.
Sheriff: Gunman didn't know Monterey Park dance hall victimsThe 72-year-old gunman who sprayed bullets into a Southern California ballroom dance hall, killing 11 people, had no known connection with the victims and investigators were still trying to determine a motive for the massacre, the Los Angeles County sheriff said.
- 11:00 PMElgin man charged with stalking middle schoolers
- 10:02 PMVilla Park police: Harvey man fled traffic stop while driving stolen car
- 8:20 PMRail merger opposed by suburbs should go forward, analysts say
- 8:13 PMWhy suburban food pantries expect further stress
- 6:36 PMNearly 70 vehicles involved in pileups just north of Illinois-Wisconsin border
- 5:46 PMDistrict 73 plans to extend instructional day to 7 hours in 2023-24
- 5:46 PMAs hospitalizations for COVID-19 dip, all suburban counties at low risk levels
More Suburban News
- ElginElgin man charged with stalking middle schoolers
- Villa ParkPolice: Man fired a machine gun more than 30 times in Villa Park neighborhood
- EducationDistrict 73 plans to extend instructional day to 7 hours in 2023-24
- EducationDist. 220 superintendent leaving job at end of school year
- Girls' BasketballFremd wins at Palatine, stays perfect in MSL West
- Boys' BasketballBartlett's depth shines at Elgin
- Boys' BasketballLake Park builds 21-point lead on Batavia, wins by 2
- Girls' BasketballProspect edges Hersey to tie for MSL East lead
- Boys' BasketballStevenson's Ambrose wins 500th game
- Boys' BasketballPanek's clutch free throws lift Warren over Lake Zurich
- Boys' BasketballChtilianov, Waubonsie Valley slam Metea
- Boys' BasketballWilder, Ivy spark Larkin's win at Fenton in new roles
- Girls' BasketballCarmel cruises to win on senior night
- Girls' GymnasticsGeneva wins DuKane meet, claims first conference title since 2017
- Boys' BasketballWW South snaps Geneva's 15-game streak, takes control of DuKane race