Sound check: Common, Cold War Kids highlights at Mamby on the Beach
Mamby on the Beach
Chicago rapper Common, indie pop's Spoon, the Cold War Kids, Russ and more top the lineup for the two-day Mamby on the Beach music festival hitting town this weekend. The fest, now in its fourth year, brings an eclectic mix of national acts and local musicians to the stage under a wide open-air format on Chicago's lakefront. Make sure you fit sets from AJR and Nora En Pure into your schedule, along with leaving some room for Chicago-area acts Gene Farris, Hiroko Yamamura and Windy City Soul Club. Noon to 10 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, June 23-24, at Oakwood Beach, 4100 S. Lake Shore Drive, Chicago. $79-$189. mambybeach.com.
Summer's big pop bash
B96 packs pop standouts Halsey, Allessia Cara, Meghan Trainor and more into the Allstate Arena for this year's edition of the B96 Pepsi Summer Bash. The lineup also features radio-friendly and dance-heavy artists Bebe Rexha, Dua Lipa, Liam Payne, 5SOS, Why Don't We and Bazzi. 6:30 p.m. Saturday, June 23, at Allstate Arena, 6920 Mannheim Road, Rosemont. $55-$75. (800) 745-3000 or b96.radio.com.
Grab a drink and get ready to swing when The Buzzhounds hit the stage at Palatine's Mac's on Slade this weekend. The bluesy band -- Jeff Manga, Marko Lira and Bob Miller -- drops its fifth studio album, "Chicago Go Go," Friday in time for the show, and if the recent single, "Lip Stick Smack," is any indication, it's going to be a lively one. Catch all the raucous, rockabilly energy at this weekend kickoff show. Mac's on Slade, 117 W. Slade St., Palatine. (847) 907-9621 or macsonslade.com. 8:45 p.m. Friday, June 22
The Buzzhounds release their fifth studio album, "Chicago Go Go," at Mac's on Slade in Palatine Friday, June 22.
- Courtesy of The Buzzhounds
Side Street's week 4
The Side Street Studio Arts' summerlong Battle of the Bands has reached it's fourth week of first-round performances this weekend, with sets by Binx, Sunday Cruise and Girl K. Fans get to vote on the night's winners, so come out and support your favorite local performers. And congratulations to last week's winners, Mr. Butterfield and Long Birds, who will be moving on to the quarterfinals next month. 7 p.m. Saturday, June 23, at Side Street Studio Arts, 15 Ziegler Court, Elgin. $5 suggested donation. (847) 429-2276 or sidestreetstudioarts.org.
Palatine synth-pop rockers Ember Oceans bring some new music to Durty Nellie's with August Hotel Saturday, June 23.
- Courtesy of Ember Oceans
Ember Oceans heads home
The Palatine crew in synth-pop band Ember Oceans -- Freddy Purcell, Joe Cox, Parker Simonaitis and Sean Groebe -- has been hard at work getting some new, catchy beats ready to see the light of the stage this weekend as they play a hometown show at Durty Nellie's. Hear their new music alongside the soaring sounds of August Hotel, one of the Chicago area's strongest contenders for the indie pop crown. 9 p.m. Saturday, June 23, at Durty Nellie's, 180 N. Smith St., Palatine. $7. (847) 358-9150 or durtynellies.com.
Darren Criss and Lea Michele bring "The LM/DC Tour" to the Chicago Theatre on Tuesday, June 26.
- Associated Press, 2014
Broadway to Chicago
Broadway stars and actors Lea Michele and Darren Criss reunite from their "Glee" days together as they bring the "The LM/DC Tour" to Chicago. The co-headlining tour, a musical celebration of popular music, has the duo performing various favorites together and solo in promotion of their recent music releases -- Michele's 2017 studio album "Places" and Criss' 2016 EP "Homework." 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, June 26, at the Chicago Theatre, 175 N. State St., Chicago. $39.50-$89.50. (312) 902-1500 or msg.com.
• World's Largest Block Party: June 22-23 at the Old St. Pat's Campus, at Monroe and Desplaines streets, Chicago, worldslargestblockparty.com
• Country LakeShake: June 22-24 at Huntington Bank Pavilion at Northerly Island, 1300 S. Linn White Drive, Chicago, lakeshakefestival.com
• Long Grove Strawberry Fest: June 22-24 in downtown Long Grove, 308 Old McHenry Road, longgrove.org
• Logan Square Arts Festival: June 22-24 at Logan Square, Chicago, logansquareartsfestival.com
• Motoblot Road Show: June 22-24 outside the Cobra Lounge, 235 N. Ashland Ave., Chicago, motoblot.com
• Ruido Fest: June 22-24 at Addams/Medill Park, 1301 W. 14th St., Chicago, ruidofest.com
• Lisle's Eyes to the Skies: June 27-July 1 at Community Park, 1825 Short St., Lisle, eyestotheskies.org
• The Linden Method, Zombie Schoolboy, Makena, latenightsinmycar.: 5:30 p.m. Friday, June 22, at Bottom Lounge, 1375 W. Lake St., Chicago. $10. (312) 666-6775 or bottomlounge.com.
• Pack the Place with Pride! fundraiser featuring Popular Nobodies, Stellar West, Steamboats: 7 p.m. Friday, June 22, at Spanky's Bar & Grill, 201 E. Romeo Road, Romeoville. $10 suggested donation benefits Bolingbrook Pride. (815) 552-2642
• Queensryche: 8 p.m. Friday, June 22, at Arcada Theatre, 105 E. Main St., St. Charles. $39-$89. (630) 962-7000 or arcadalive.com.
• Saliva, 20 Spot, Daytime Hooker, Fools' Brew: 8 p.m. Friday, June 22, at BaseCamp Pub, 5750 Lakeside Drive, Lisle. $20-$30. (331) 777-4712 or ticketweb.com.
• Cloud Corporation, Rob Winn, Welcome to Jonestown: 8 p.m. Friday, June 22, at Debonair Social Club, 1575 N. Milwaukee Ave., Chicago. $10. (773) 227-7990 or debonairsocialclub.com.
• Invisible Cartoons, Downers Groove: 8 p.m. Friday, June 22, at Alibi, 12 N. 3rd St., St. Charles. Free. (630) 443-0011 or ouralibi4u.com.
• Smells Like Nirvana, Mr. World: 9 p.m. Friday, June 22, at BrauerHouse Live, 1000 N. Rohlwing Road, Lombard. $10-$12. (630) 495-2141 or brauerhouse.com.
• We Are Scientists, The Candescents, DJ Willie Dutch: 9 p.m. Friday, June 22, at Empty Bottle, 1035 N. Western Ave., Chicago. $18-$20. (773) 276-3600 or emptybottle.com.
• Rosie and the Rivets: 9 p.m. Friday, June 22, at Arcada Theatre, 105 E. Main St., St. Charles. $10. (630) 962-7000 or clubarcada.com.
• The Dip, The King of Mars: 10 p.m. Friday, June 22, at SPACE, 1245 Chicago Ave., Evanston. $12. (847) 556-9756 or evanstonspace.com.
• Commonweather, Moral Code, Fredo Disco, Stratford, Noah, Furlough (acoustic): 6 p.m. Saturday, June 23, at Evolution Music, 923 Curtiss St., Downers Grove. $10. (630) 541-5022 or evolutionmusicstore.com.
• Dance for Life charity fundraiser featuring Audio Assassins, Saladin, Freaky D, LoBo and RP Smack: 8 p.m. Saturday, June 23, at BrauerHouse Live, 1000 N. Rohlwing Road, Lombard. $15-$20 suggested donation. (630) 495-2141 or brauerhouse.com.
• Twista: 8 p.m. Saturday, June 23, at BaseCamp Pub, 5750 Lakeside Drive, Lisle. $20-$30. (331) 777-4712 or ticketweb.com.
• Punk Goes Country, Set the Trend, The Remedies, Matt Rail and the Bannermen: 8 p.m. Saturday, June 23, at 18 West, 18 W. Conti Parkway, Elmwood Park. Free. (708) 456-9962 or 18westfoodanddrink.com.
• Wrath, Ladrone, Bad Acting: 9 p.m. Saturday, June 23, at BrauerHouse, 1000 N. Rohlwing Road, Lombard. $7-$10. (630) 495-2141 or brauerhouse.com.
• Downers Groove, Aaron Williams: 9 p.m. Saturday, June 23, at Northside Sports Bar & Grill, 499 Pennsylvania Ave., Glen Ellyn. (630) 469-4602 or northsidesportsbar.com.
• Adam Linder: 3 p.m. Sunday, June 24, at Crossroads Tavern & Eatery, 396 W. Irving Park Road, Wood Dale. Free. (630) 860-0055 or crossroadseatery.com.
• Social Distortion, Aaron Lee Tasjan, Jade Jackson: 6:30 p.m. Sunday, June 24, at House of Blues, $37.50-$40. (312) 923-2000 or houseofblues.com. (Friday and Saturday night shows are sold out, but you can find tickets online.)
• Fletcher Rockwell: 7 p.m. Sunday, June 24, at Gartner Park, 524 Gartner Road, Naperville. Free. fletcherrockwell.com.
• Wild Daisy: 6:30 p.m. Monday, June 25, at Schaumburg Town Square, corner of Schaumburg & Roselle roads, Schaumburg. Free. (847) 985-4000 or SchaumburgLibrary.org.
• Helmet, Speed Freak: 8 p.m. Tuesday, June 26, at BrauerHouse Live, 1000 N. Rohlwing Road, Lombard. $22-$25. (630) 495-2141 or brauerhouse.com.
• Cody Johns, Brian Fraze, Friday Pilots Club, The Punch, The Pact: 7 p.m. Thursday, June 28, at House of Blues, $10-$15. (312) 923-2000 or houseofblues.com.
• The Wailers: 7:30 p.m. Thursday, June 28, at Arcada Theatre, 105 E. Main St., St. Charles. $39-$89. (630) 962-7000 or arcadalive.com.
• Girl Named Nino: 8 p.m. Thursday, June 28, at Cubby Bear, 1059 W. Addison St., Chicago. Free. (773) 327-1662 or cubbybear.com.
• Brian Shamie is a Daily Herald multiplatform editor and local music fanboy. You can follow him on Twitter at @thatshamieguy. Listen to Brian's "2018 Chicago Sound Check Vol. 5" Spotify playlist for a sampling of some of the local bands he's written about recently for the Daily Herald.