What could be done with Arlington Park? New Bears stadium, Ravinia-style concerts, more ideas
A recurring topic on Chicago sports talk radio, online message boards and social media for years, the possibility of a Chicago Bears move to Arlington Heights is back in the spotlight -- one of many options being floated by local officials and residents now that the fate of Arlington International Racecourse seems sealed.
'It's a sad day in Arlington Heights': Arlington Park owner puts track up for saleLong expected by racing industry observers and feared by horse owners, trainers and fans, Arlington International Racecourse's status as a gem for the sport of kings is about to come to the finish line.
Constable: Office building's oldest fixture feted for his 90th birthdayA fixture at an Arlington Heights office building, where he's a wiz at everything from electric to plumbing, Phil Pecoraro worked his regular shift Wednesday, but not without the occupants throwing him a 90th birthday party.
Fresh and (mostly) local: Co-op grocery store coming to downtown LombardA cooperatively owned grocery store is planning to open a brick-and-mortar location next year in downtown Lombard. Prairie Food Co-op has signed a 10-year lease for a 10,000-square-foot building at 109 S. Main St.
Hemp production drops slightly in 2020Industrial hemp production declined slightly in 2020, the second year of legalized production in Illinois. The Illinois Department of Agriculture said Wednesday that 2,392 acres of industrial hemp, or 87% of the acres planted, were harvested during the year. That was down from just over 2,800 acres in 2019.
FDA says single-dose shot from J&J prevents severe COVIDJohnson & Johnson's single-dose vaccine offers strong protection against severe COVID-19, according to an analysis released Wednesday by U.S. regulators that sets the stage for a final decision on a new and easier-to-use shot to help tame the pandemic.
Here's your excuse for not cooking in Lake CountyLake County Restaurant Week usually features dining deals and special menus. This year, though, organizers are hoping residents will spend money to help save ailing businesses.
Funky electronics chain Fry's is no moreFry's Electronics, the go-to chain for tech tinkerers looking for an obscure part, is closing for good. The company said Wednesday in an online posting that the COVID-19 pandemic had made it impossible to continue.
Baskin-Robbins and Dunkin' coming to Round LakeA hybrid Baskin-Robbins and Dunkin' establishment is coming to Round Lake this fall, with construction beginning in the spring.
Geneva delays vote on Emma's Landing townhouse proposalThe Geneva City Council has postponed a vote on the controversial Emma's Landing townhouse project, saying it wants more information on several topics, including plans for handling stormwater drainage.
Renovation of Oak Brook office building completeClear Height Properties has completed the renovation and repositioning plans for 814 Commerce Drive in Oak Brook. Clear Height acquired the office building at the end of 2019 in a joint venture with Buligo Capital Partners.
Middleby opens kitchen innovation hub near DallasElgin-based Middleby Corp. Tuesday announced the grand opening of the Middleby Innovation Kitchens located in the Dallas area.
Business Ledger | How COVID ignited unemployment insurance fraud, and what you can do to fight itFor a variety of reasons, unemployment insurance fraud has grown into a major concern not just for Illinois, but the entire country. A USA Today article last year estimated $36 billion had been stolen from the U.S. by overseas scam artists alone.
Suburban Business News
from the staffs of the Daily Herald and the Business Ledger
- NewsWhat could be done with Arlington Park? New Bears stadium, Ravinia-style concerts, more ideas
- Business'It's a sad day in Arlington Heights': Arlington Park owner puts track up for sale
- Elk Grove VillageConstable: Office building's oldest fixture feted for his 90th birthday
- LombardFresh and (mostly) local: Co-op grocery store coming to downtown Lombard
- BusinessHere's your excuse for not cooking in Lake County
- Downers GroveFunky electronics chain Fry's is no more
- Round LakeBaskin-Robbins and Dunkin' coming to Round Lake
- GenevaGeneva delays vote on Emma's Landing townhouse proposal
- NewsArlington Park reactions: Disappointment, anger over decision to sell
- MundeleinMundelein to purchase vacant lot on Park Street as part of plans for the block
- RoselleRoselle creates programs to help restaurants and other businesses
- NewsCOVID test results to order at Northbrook Court
- BearsO'Donnell: It's time for George S. Halas Stadium at Arlington Park
- SchaumburgSchaumburg approves 5 gambling cafes, sticks to that limit
- BartlettThe Oaks at Bartlett announces $5 million renovation