Judge won't reduce bail for man accused of killing ex-wife in Gurnee

  • David. Brocksom

    David. Brocksom

Updated 10/2/2015 12:03 PM

A Kenosha man accused of killing his ex-wife during a struggle at her Gurnee house last weekend will remain held in Lake County jail on $3 million bail, a judge ruled Friday.

In addition, Lake County Assistant State's Attorney Lauren Callinan said in court David Brocksom's 9-year-old daughter is refuting a claim that he flew into a rage after she told him she was assaulted by her mother, Beata J. Brocksom.


David Brocksom, 43, is charged with one count of first-degree murder for the shooting death of Beata Brocksom after a struggle at the woman's house in the 3700 block of Pacific Avenue about 4 a.m. Sept. 27.

Friday's hearing was scheduled because defense attorney Douglas Zeit was looking to reduce David Brocksom's bond to $100,000.

Zeit said the bail should be lowered because David Brocksom defended himself against his ex-wife.

In addition, Zeit argued, David Brocksom has no prior arrests and lives with his mother in Kenosha.

"Under the circumstances, this is not a murder charge, or should be a murder charge," Zeit said.

However, Callinan argued that the story David Brocksom told police after he turned himself in at 7:30 p.m. Sept. 27 was not corroborated by the couple's daughter. In a previous bond court hearing, prosecutors said David Brocksom told police he drove to Gurnee from the Wisconsin Dells to confront the ex-wife after his daughter told him the victim had assaulted her.

by signing up you agree to our terms of service

"The daughter told police her mother never touched her inappropriately," Callinan said. "Many of his statements ... are not being corroborated by the daughter."

Zeit said the girl made similar accusations on a video during a divorce hearing between the couple in 2013. He said he intends to locate and play the tape.

In addition, he said the victim had two orders of protection filed against her, one by David Brocksom and one by a neighbor.

During a previous bond hearing, David Brocksom told police he and his ex-wife into an argument that escalated into a physical fight. After David Brocksom said he was hit in the head by an object, the two wrestled over a gun, authorities said.

Two gunshots were fired in the house, authorities said, with one shot hitting the victim in the neck. The fight carried outside, where the victim died, authorities said. David Brocksom dragged his ex-wife into the bushes after she died, then left with her two cellphones, authorities said.


After calling a friend to pick up his children in Wisconsin Dells, he showered at his mother's house and turned himself into police about 15 hours later, authorities said.

Officials said the investigation continues and more charges could be filed.

The two sides have been ordered back to court Oct. 22 for a preliminary hearing.

Go to comments: 0 posted
Article Comments
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the "flag" link in the lower-right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.