News | Schaumburg writer's book tells of inspirational amputees. So does golf tournament.
Fifty-nine men and women took part in the All Disability Open at the Odyssey Golf Foundation course in Tinley Park last weekend. Each person's story about becoming an amputee is different, but all inspire and remind us how strong the human spirit is and how much we can accomplish.
News | Floodwaters from Des Plaines River recede Saturday in Lincolnshire, but river still rising in GurneeFloodwaters receded off streets and out of yards Saturday in Lincolnshire neighborhoods near the Des Plaines River.
Kane County | Suburban Hero: Batavia volunteer helps Kane County jail inmates open their heartsTim Lyons, a retired Batavia firefighter, has been volunteering at the Kane County jail for about 6 years and was instrumental in bringing Catholic priests to the St. Charles lockup to provide Mass, Bible study and sacraments of reconciliation and Holy Communion to inmates. He will be recognized as the sheriff's office Volunteer of the Year this month.
Columns | Constable: 'Miracle baby' now working on cystic fibrosis cureBorn two months early on the bathroom floor of their Itasca home, Will and Alexis Belmonte were hailed as "miracle" babies. Twenty years later, Will is working on finding a cure for himself and everyone with cycstic fibrosis.
News | Funds for troops raised as rappelers descend in NapervilleRaising money for the support of U.S. troops while sampling the step outside one's comfort zone which their jobs require daily were the twin missions of an event at Naperville's Hotel Arista Saturday.
News | Lake Michigan a boon in climate change era, but faces some risksHow is climate change affecting Lake Michigan? And what does that mean for people who use the lake for everything from drinking water to recreation?
Lake County | How new group hopes to promote 2020 census in Lake CountyA bipartisan group of Lake County Board members, local mayors and other public servants is coming together to boost community participation in the 2020 U.S. census.
News | 2 more Legionnaires' cases found in BataviaThe Illinois Department of Public Health reported Saturday that two more people in Batavia have contracted Legionnaires' disease after a dozen were found with the infection at another retirement home there.
Cubs | Chicago Cubs rout Pirates for a second straight day, 14-1The Chicago Cubs routed the Pittsburgh Pirates for a second straight day, beating them 14-1 Saturday at Wrigley Field.
Editorial | Editorial: The climate crisis so many denyIn this editorial, the Daily Herald says the issue isn't about whether we believe in the threat of global warming; it's about the reality of it
MLB | Cubs organist Gary Pressy to retire at season's endGary Pressy, the longtime organist at Wrigley Field for Chicago Cubs games, will retire at the end of this season.
Columns | Facts Matter: Reagan didn't meet with Taliban; Disney didn't dismantle castlePresident Ronald Reagan didn't with members of the Taliban in the Oval Office, and Disney did not remove the spires at the Cinderella Castle ahead of Hurricane Dorian, Bob Oswald writes in his Facts Matter column.
- 4:26 AMIran dismisses US allegation it was behind Saudi oil attacks
- 4:17 AMCleanup resumes in Bahamas as Humberto swirls away
- 4:13 AMIraqi prime minister's office denies the country's territory was used to launch the drones that attacked Saudi oil sites
- 3:44 AMProtesters defy ban to march in downtown Hong Kong
- 3:00 AMIran Foreign Ministry dismisses US claim it was behind Saudi oil attacks, calling it part of US policy of 'maximum lies'
More Suburban News Find your community
- SchaumburgWhere do people work in Schaumburg? Woodfield leads the way
- AuroraAurora police, firefighter rescue woman from Fox River Friday night
- Elk Grove Village'One of the most racist things I've seen': Elk Grove mayor slams mailer on opioid program
- Prep FootballSchaumburg hangs 56 points on Niles North
- LincolnshireBroadway's Adam Jacobs to appear on Huntley radio program
- Oak BrookBond denied for Chicago man charged in Oak Brook sex assault; prosecutors cite DNA match
- Elk Grove VillageElk Grove Village group gets federal grant to battle opioid abuse
- ElginElgin police safely get mysterious python out of family's garage
- Prep FootballIC Catholic scores convincing win against Wheaton Academy
- EducationDistrict 204 teachers union president dies
- Prep FootballHersey blows out Maine East
- Prep FootballEast Aurora denies Larkin its 1st victory
- 11:53 PMNaperville Park District offers new and traditional fall events for all ages
- 10:59 PMLisle student wins $3,000 National Small Business Scholarship
- 10:47 PMAID victim services manager Yesenia Herrera named 2019 Community Care Professional of the Year
- 10:13 PMLovell Federal Health Care Center to co-host Veteran Town Hall at McHenry County College
- 9:29 PMPianists sought for 25th anniversary of American Grands concert
- 9:01 PMNaperville Park District congratulates SilverSneakers Swanson Award finalist Pat Fuller
- 8:17 PMCoaches and team members work hard at McDonald's during McCoaches Night.
- 8:06 PMTriCity Family Services seeking nominations for William D. Barth Award
Inside Daily Herald