Business | United Airlines jet powered by sustainable fuel set to head out from O'Hare
What would normally be a ho-hum United Airlines flight from O'Hare International Airport to Washington D.C. Wednesday is being hailed as a breakthrough that will help to reduce pollution from jet fuel.
Business | Developer trying again for affordable housing in PalatineA developer whose preliminary proposal to build affordable housing in Palatine faced strong opposition from neighbors last summer is back with a revised plan.
News | Woodland District 50 school board member must pay accused parents' attorney fees, judge rulesA Lake County judge has ordered Woodland Elementary District 50 school board member Renae Amen to pay attorney fees and costs to three parents she accused of threatening her during the spring's intense debates over remote learning in the Gurnee-based district.
News | Mount Prospect police selling controversial former uniform patch for charityThe Mount Prospect Police Department is selling its decommissioned police patches to raise money for a charity that supports the families of first responders killed in the line of duty.
Illinois | Illinois tallies 595 COVID-19 deaths in NovemberIllinois recorded 595 COVID-19 deaths in November, fewer than the previous two months. But with an uptick in cases and hospitalizations, health officials believe the death toll in the coming months will likely be higher.
Prep Football | Pardun stepping down as Hersey's head coachHersey head coach Joe Pardun has always preached to his players that football is a family atmosphere. So it was no wonder that Pardun was surrounded by his wife Katie and his daughters Veronica and Vivian when he meet with his players Tuesday morning to inform his team that he was stepping down as head coach of the Huskies.
Crime | Schaumburg police seeking public's help to identify man at hotelSchaumburg police are asking for the public's help in identifying a man seen at a local extended stay hotel in October or November.
News | Recreation center, more apartments proposed for Villa ParkVilla Park is considering constructing a 38,000-square-foot recreation center at Lions Park. Meanwhile, a developer has unveiled a proposal for a mixed-use housing and retail complex along Villa Avenue.
Cook County | Cook County medical examiner's office passes 1,000th homicide for 2021The Cook County medical examiner on Tuesday confirmed 1,009 homicide deaths so far in the county. Of those, 23 occurred in the northwest suburbs, per the medical examiner's database.
News | 'Coping and hoping': Arlington Heights funeral home going hybrid for annual remembrance ceremonyMuch like its pandemic-adapted wake and funeral services, Glueckert Funeral Home's annual remembrance ceremony this weekend in Arlington Heights will be a hybrid in-person and virtual event for the first time.
Columns | Feder: WTTW's Geoffrey Baer lifts viewers 'Beyond Chicago From the Air'Premiering at 7:30 p.m. tonight, Geoffrey Baer's latest effort is a one-hour tour de force called "Beyond Chicago From the Air."
News | Why the sunsets have been so beautiful the past few daysMeteorologists say low-pressure "clipper" systems combined with breaks in higher-elevation clouds have created some fairly spectacular sunsets in our area over the past few days.
- 12:31 PMAuthorities say a fourth student, a 17-year-old boy, has died from Michigan school shooting (CORRECTS: A previous APNewsAlert erroneously reported that the fourth person to die was 15 years old based on information from authorities.)
- 12:26 PMDeath of bullied Utah girl draws anger over suicides, racism
- 12:10 PM'Buy now, pay later' catches on just in time for holidays
- 12:09 PMLive updates: WHO: Travel bans hurting global cooperation
- 12:09 PMVisa CEO: COVID caused permanent shift to digital payments
More Suburban News Find your community
- McHenry CountyReports: Seven hospitalized after acid spill at Harvard food plant
- AuroraAurora man dies after Sunday fire
- GurneeWoodland District 50 school board member must pay accused parents' attorney fees, judge rules
- Downers GroveCounty grants $5M to help DuPagePads buy hotel to house the homeless
- Des PlainesMaine West High cleared after bomb threat
- NapervilleMan seriously injured in crash on Route 59 in Naperville
- Kane CountyKane County Board rejects tax increases, solves deficit with COVID cash
- Hoffman EstatesHoffman Estates approves 3-year firefighters contract retroactive to Jan. 1
- Round LakeEarly morning blaze damages Round Lake business
- Girls' BasketballStreamwood honors Rosner by naming gym after him
- Prep WrestlingWrestling: DeKalb blanks Metea Valley
- Boys' BasketballFremd's experience too much for St. Viator
- 11:43 AMTwo chances to hear Elk Grove Village Concert Band
- 7:26 PMSt. Charles church to host Advent Festival of Lessons and Carols Dec. 5
- 7:11 PMElmhurst University's Festival of Lessons and Carols returns Dec. 3
- 7:02 PMExperience 'The Art of Advent' at Wheaton church Dec. 12
- 6:56 PMDonate to Huntley Rotary's 'Baskets and Buckets' project
- 6:48 PMGlenbard Parent Series webinar to discuss the importance of friendships Dec. 7
- 6:42 PMFederation of Indian Associations unveils road map to undertake community-centric initiatives while celebrating its growth trajectory
- 6:15 PMDowners Grove Park District receives Illinois Distinguished Accredited Agency Award
Inside Daily Herald